Milling tree's for lumber and wood for projects.

So Greg, how do you make that first cut? I would think it is all important on the first. Wouldn't it need to to be dead straight?

Just got my own setup. Looks like the same make although I have the smaller version. A friend cut down a cherry tree in his backyard and I couldn't let it go to waste. Looks like I will get about 150 bd ft of wood. The first cut is made along a guide.

Some beautiful ccherry this log will pay for the rig.
Dave

image.jpg image.jpg

beautiful. . what is the thing on the right hand end of the frame ? oiler ?

It's a McCulloch saw, 100cc, it was made by partner in Sweden, she's all metal and a torque monster. Parts are not available for this saw any more so when she wears out I will be looking for a new power head. I used this saw when I ran a landscape business and processed firewood, I've had it for better than 20 years and she's still going strong, I maintain her well. Another thing about the chain is I custom grind the angles, they come at about 10 degree and I change it to about 18 degree, it's a good compromise of speed and finish quality.

This one? ;)

0.84?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif.gif

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...baaa3483b43eb4d988256afd004da8d2?OpenDocument

beautiful. . what is the thing on the right hand end of the frame ? oiler ?
Yup, it's a gravity fed oiler, pulling a chain this long and under the stress it is under all the lube you can get is a bonus. I had to drill 2 holes in the hardened bar for the feed fitting and nut.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

So Greg, how do you make that first cut? I would think it is all important on the first. Wouldn't it need to to be dead straight?
Yes you are correct, the first cut is very important as each succesive cut follows the one before. The first slabbing cut is done with a pair of slabbing brackets. They are just 2 straight 2 x 4's connected with an aluminum channel with screws. It is screwed onto the log for the first cut and then removed, you can cut logs as long as the straight 2 x 4's are. I'll se if I have a pick of the slabbing brackets set up.

Randy, here's a pic of the slabbing bracket attached and a pic after the first cut and the slab removed. The first cut is always like christmas to me, it might be something special like this log was, or just plain usable lumber like you buy at the lumber yard, or rotten and no good, you never know. This one was a special ambrosia maple log 9' long and 30" or so at it's widest point.
milling-day-1-007.jpgmilling-day-1-010.jpg

milling-day-1-007.jpg milling-day-1-010.jpg

Wow! So need to see a short video, showing say, the first two cuts, which will answer a LOT of questions in the readers minds.

Not being a woodworker, I didn't think this post would interest me at all.... Wrong!

My mind is going all sorts of places now.

Top post!!!

I only kept 2 chunks of it for turning, all the rest I left with my friend, I just milled it for him. are you a wood worker as well?

Yeah, I am the one that was rebuilding the rockwell 6X48 belt sander, that used the old sink knobs for the delta sander. Just brought a Uni-saw sight un seen, trusted the guy over the phone,has OE goose egg and dust door. See thread here.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214994
Have been in the hospital a while now, everything is pushed back.
I have/had a little bit of ambrosia maple.Small ambrosia maple/walnut lidded box.

207591_3898214584242_282892087_n.jpg 231164_3898217664319_1572687656_n.jpg Delta star Knob 1.jpg OWWM 3 Top Save.jpg OWWM 4 Save.jpg

Back