Milling Rite

The threads are sharp like a v- thread, and should be blunt like an acme. Lucky for you, you're a resourceful hobby machinist and you have options. You can buy bronze flanged acme threaded nut blanks if you look hard enough, which is what I'd do, and machine to fit. Or you can go full smurftard and turn your own. It might turn out to be less effort to cut the internal acme than to source a suitable acme nut, but I am a wuss about those kind of deep, precise, and heavy inside thread jobs. I know I should smurf up and grow a pair, it would be good growth opportunity, but sometimes getting a project going means farming out a step or two... Anyhoo, I would not be keen on re-using that pre-worn backlash magnifier based on my presumptive assessment of one cell phone pic in an Internet forum. So there's a pile of salt to take it with.
I made a custom form tool to replicate the cross slide nut on my Clausing MK1 13x36.

You ever been threading and get into the rhythm only to fudge the next step?

Yeah, I was almost done and very happy with myself when I forgot to back the tool out and grabbed the saddle handwheel and gave it a rip.

That sound is stuck in my head to this day and I thought I destroyed the work and the cutter.

Got lucky and the cutter was undamaged, though my pride had a big hole in it.

Whatever that pin is...it doesn't move easily. I don't have a punch long enough to reach it from underneath, so I'm going to have to try to pull the elevator screw from the front and see what I get...and hopefully not break something. I really don't recall this hitch in the movement heretofore...

Whatever that pin is...it doesn't move easily. I don't have a punch long enough to reach it from underneath, so I'm going to have to try to pull the elevator screw from the front and see what I get...and hopefully not break something. I really don't recall this hitch in the movement heretofore...
Can you get eyes on it while you twirl the gewhirl and see where the slip is?

Can you get eyes on it while you twirl the gewhirl and see where the slip is?

Haven't been able to figure that out. It's not really slipping; it's more of a hangup than anything else. If I go kind of fast, I can move right through the hard spot with no problems...but if I ease into it, it's almost a full stop. And the weird thing is that it's on every other rotation of the handle; I assume that's pointing to the elevator screw, somehow.

Not sure what that pin is, but it doesn’t look right. Unfortunately I can’t offer any advice, but your plan to pull the elevation screw sounds like the best path.

Yeah, I always seem to screw up the very last pass, right about when I'm getting comfortable cocky... Murphy wouldn't have it any other way.
Last week I needed to machine some threads on a part, I set it up to thread away from the chuck and then proceeded to thread towards the chuck, right into the shoulder…. At least I didn’t destroy the insert and was able to part that section off and remachine it without loosing too much material, of course that was in brass and not something cheaper like aluminum.

Back