Milling Rite

Dave Bonzo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently had a thread on the Grand-Tour-esque misadventure that was the quest to pick up a baby Millrite from...well, only the next state over, but it might as well have been from the far side of the Supercluster, judging by how long it took me to actually get there and back after having made the deal. Fetch it I did, however, and now it's safely resting on concrete in the garage...right next to a drill press that makes it look even smaller than it really is.

Pictured: Which...seems kind of backwards.

PXL_20230626_001627899.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I didn't really want to clutter up that thread with Phase 2 of this project, so I decided to document all of my cleanup, setup, tool-up and screw-up efforts here...and first on that list needs to be some active efforts directed towards getting the machine leveled, possibly on some type of mobile base, and with both the drive motor and the power feed hooked up with new cords. So, naturally, I'm going to skip all of that and go directly to excitedly digging through the boxes of randomness that came with the machine in order to see what else I bought.

Pictured: Oh good, I have things that hold things.

PXL_20230701_144058779.PORTRAIT.jpg

I'm kind of glad that I started looking, because I actually didn't know that all of the collets were included; this saves me a couple of pennies. What I don't have, however, is much of anything else. There's a vise, a couple of clamps, a fly cutter that needs some new inserts...but that's about all I've found so far. I have a box or three left to go through, but so far I don't have any other tools, or anything that looks like it holds a vise to a table...so that's a slight issue. And maybe that's for the best, at least on the point of tooling: I haven't used a machine of this size before, so although I know the table capacity suits my needs and physical workspace, I need to look into the tool capacity to see how large of a tool it can reasonably handle.

I know of some used tooling that's for sale locally at a decent price, so once I know what the machine can use I can start making a list of what would be nice to have and then go pick through things. I think most of what's available is either new or freshly resharpened; thankfully, I have about a decade of dealing with CNC router tooling under my belt, so I know what to look for with resharps...and rotary tools in general, I suppose.

Also, one big thing that I'm missing is a DRO...and since everything I've ever worked with has had that feature from the factory, I'm not even sure of where to start shopping.

So that's where we are, now. Order of the day is to finish looking through boxes, look up some machine specs, and try to get a list of "this would be nice/useful" tools on the whiteboard. I can start working on the leveling and the power situation and the DRO later...and as always, any opinions or insight on any point are much appreciated.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Sweet! That vise looks mighty big on that dainty little table.

I know! When I got to the seller's shop he was just starting to unbolt it, and I thought "Wow, that's actually a decent vise...and...kind of large..." Also, that's the last time I saw those fasteners: they may still be in a box somewhere...but I haven't seen them among the other random stuff, today.

I bought the cheapest most economical DRO I could find on Aliexpress. Fiver years in and no complaints.

Okay, that kind of confirms a suspicion that I have, which I formulated based on parallel experience: unless you spend a lot of money on a DRO - and I mean a lot - there's not an appreciable amount of difference between the more affordable units...at least not in terms of accuracy. Function and interface may differ from unit to unit, but they all kind of do the same thing. At the last shop I worked in, we did see huge differences until we were dealing with very expensive, factory-supplied units.

That is a drill press vise, not suitable as a precision mill vise, made by Cardinal Speed Vise, USA.

Didn't even realize that I was showing that so clearly in the collet photo...but I guess I should have, since I put them all on the drill press table. I didn't feel like I had room on the mill table, because of the other vise taking up so much space. But yeah, good catch on that.

Not that vise, the one on the table of the mill.

That one is an H&H Industrial. I don't know much about them, to be honest.

Also, I found the single fly cutter in the mix...and a spare drill chuck.

Like @MrWhoopee mentioned, a DRO from AliExpress is a very viable route. I purchased one from this store on AliExpress and had very good luck. For the four or five years that I used it before I sold my mill, it worked flawlessly. If I was going to buy another one, I would get the LCD screen one which is much easier to see.
Getting the correct scale length is probably the biggest challenge, but I found that easy to solve. You could also buy one from https://www.dropros.com/ for double or triple the cost if you want USA support.

Like @MrWhoopee mentioned, a DRO from AliExpress is a very viable route. I purchased one from this store on AliExpress and had very good luck. For the four or five years that I used it before I sold my mill, it worked flawlessly. If I was going to buy another one, I would get the LCD screen one which is much easier to see.
Getting the correct scale length is probably the biggest challenge, but I found that easy to solve. You could also buy one from https://www.dropros.com/ for double or triple the cost if you want USA support.
I'm likely to go with TouchDRO. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck and with updates the features keep getting better.
Plus, he's a forum sponsor and seems to answer questions posted almost as soon as the go up.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/touchdro-the-diy-dro-project.542/

John

I haven't seen the TouchDRO...but what an interesting concept! It certainly is more affordable than a lot of other units; clearly, I have a lot of research to do.

Also...

Pictured: This.

PXL_20230701_195505566.PORTRAIT.jpg

Still digging through boxes; found most of the brake parts, but no vise bolts.

Everything these days is a multifunction device. Sometimes I just want to walk up to single function electronics, turn them on without a long boot cycle and update checks, use them without tech interruptions or online dependencies, then power off and walk away.

My rather cheap Ditron D80 requires no updates, no server synch, no boot time. It's not "smart" tech, and I love it for that.

Did you know you need an app to run a new DeWalt circular saw? It checks the serial with the cloud before unlocking. I don't need that **** in my life, either!

Last edited:
Just depends on the application. I’m a tech guy by training and temperament. I do understand what you mean though.

A DRO is just a measuring device. But, once you can measure you can calculate….

I figure the hard part is selecting and mounting the scales. But, I have no actual experience.

Just wanted to point out that we have a forum sponsor whose product deserves consideration.

John

Back