Milling Of Small Parts

Wow, just saw the vid. Wicked

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I figured. Haven't been able to find a supplier yet. Poked around on the net a couple times looking for a supplier in N America. If I could find one, I would be veeeery tempted to try it!

Stan,

Contact Bill Gaudette at Guhring USA in CT or try Prober Inc. NJ.

Will do! Thanks!
Should have known to check here first!!

Stan,

So now, for the actual cut with the end mill, which direction do I start? side to side or front to back?
Which side does the end mill have to be on?

Going to assume you will hang the part out of the vise just enough to machine this step. With part in right side of the vise, start with the endmill closest to you and feed away. Again about half the diameter of the endmill for cut width. Go across and come back. Move over and finish. This is 'conventional' cutting. If you want a good finish on the vertical edge, leave about .005, and after making the second pass, move over the last but and feed back to front. This is 'climb' cutting. Climb cutting will give you a better finish on verticle surfaces, but you need to be careful. On manual machines you can't take too much of a cut or it will grab. Five to ten thou is good. Use oil, or a spray bottle with some coolant. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I'll post photos when I'm finished with all the parts.
The End Mills are new and I have a couple of carbide end mills, one was a free sample.
I know carbide isn't appropriate for this. I will use a solid, rigid set up. Lock the quill and table, except for the
Y axis. I'm using a 1/4" end mill for the 1/2" steel parts and a 1/2" end mill for 3/4" parts.
I will have to use the mills dials for all the cuts, no DRO.

Back