Milling Machine for Beginner

faavs730222

Registered
Registered
Hi, I am looking at 2 milling machines and cannot decide which one would be best suited for my needs.
Here are the Specs of the 2 Machines:
MAC AFRIC 32MM GEAR DRIVEN MILLING MACHINE

Drilling Capacity: 32mm
Face Mill Capacity: 80mm
End Mill Capacity: 28mm
Headstock Swivel: approx 90 degrees
Max. Distance Nose to table: 480mm
Sprindle Taper: MT3
Motor: 0.75kW
Motor: 220V
Forward & Backward Travel: 175mm
Working Area of Table: 730 x 210mm

MAC AFRIC 45MM GEAR DRIVEN MILLING MACHINE

Drilling Capacity: 40mm
Face Mill Capacity: 80mm
End Mill Capacity: 28mm
Headstock Swivel: approx 90 degrees
Max. Distance Nose to table: 450mm
Sprindle Taper: MT3
Motor: 1.5kW
Motor: 220V
Forward & Backward Travel: 175mm
Working Area of Table: 800 x 240mm

New their prices differ about $150, but I can get the first (smaller) one secondhand for almost half its new price.
Their main difference seems to be the size of their motors.

I do only hobby work, but my experience with the lathe, from time to time you do need something that can handle bigger jobs.

How will the fist machine do with milling steel?

Any help would be appreciated.

Anton

I haven't used these machines. But for me this is a no brainer, buy the used one for 1/2 price.

Bet you can resell it later for the same price if/when you move up.

There is no such thing as a machine that is big/rigid enough. You will always yearn for the next better one. And use what you got till then.

In most cases bigger is better, but this might be one of those times where that is not necessarily true. The smaller machine has a .75kW motor, which is equivalent to a 1 HP motor if I remember correctly, and it would be more than adequate for milling steel. The only other real differences that I see between the two machines are that the table is a bit bigger on the larger machine, but the smaller of the two has more room between the spindle and the table, which can be important.

I am used to doing things on a budget and I like to save money when I can, so if it were me, I would very seriously consider the used machine, provided that it is in excellent or nearly new condition. If I were buying new, I would probably go with the larger machine for the slight difference in price.

Your best bet might be to wait for some answers from people who have one of the machines in question, or at least one that is very similar, and see what their thoughts are.

Get the bigger machine IF it is in perfect working order.

The biggest difference is that the smaller machine develops 1.005 Horse power and the larger machine develops 2.001 which is a fairly big difference when taking high depth of cut cuts or continuous long uninterrupted cuts. The additional table size is also nice, but what you gained on table size you essentially lost in throat depth, so depending on the tooling that you use on a particular job it might change how much you have the quill extended resulting in more or less flex in your machine and the resulting accuracy of the finished part. If I could afford the larger motor that is where I would invest, but the machine available used for 1/2 price trumps the motor and cost issue completely. Just my .02 though.

Bob

I generally advise going with the biggest machine you have budget and space for, but you can do a lot of good work with a 32 mm mill. Most importantly, you can do a lot of learning with it. By the time you outgrow it, if ever, you will have a whole new set of priorities to apply to a 'new' machine.

As mentioned, you will get your money back if you ever feel the need to sell it. You might decide to keep the small mill when you get a bigger one. Spares do come in handy and it's all part of the addiction.

I'd opt for the larger.
However, make sure that you can safely load, haul, unload and place without hurting yourself or the machine.
I'm no electrical guru (not at all). But, make sure your panel and wires can handle the difference in amps.
If you can I'd go for the larger.

Daryl
MN

+2 on being able to handle the amps for a 2 HP motor. Some hobby shop owners sometimes have had to share the 220 volts with the clothes dryer outlet.

Anton, I'm not sure in what price range these machines fall, but I would also take a very serious look at older English, American or other reputable brands from Europe.
I've heard many people complain about poor quality with Mac Afric machines. Just my 2c.

Get the biggest machine your shop space and wallet can accomodate.
Grow into machine size not out of it.
Big can make little parts,but little doesn't have room for large stuff.
Bigger,more stable(mass), less beginer tooling problems(tool chatter etc)
Bigger has more room for easier setups.
Bigger easier resell to grow even bigger, or get out

Last edited:
Back