Milling machine chip guards

Nice design @Janderso - I also have a love-hate relationship with magnets. I also did something very similar as far as having small, movable guards. I like how the bases on yours aren't permanently attached - makes them a bit more universal/flexible.

I've seen that curtain idea before; such a good idea and 100% on my list if/when I ever get to finishing my garage. For now I use a few huge sheets of cardboard from a big-screen TV box.

I made a quick-n-dirty plastic bender so I could make some slightly more complex shapes. It works well and pretty simple to make. Plenty of videos on the interwebs.

PlasticSheetBender.jpg
Guard1.jpg

Guard.jpg

Note, plexiglass(aka perplex aka acrylic) does bend well with a heat gun or nichrome wire.

Lexan (aka polycarbonate) does not. Poly carbonate needs heated up very slowly to drive out the moisture and brough down slowly as well or it will get bubbles in it.

As previously noted, acrylic will shatter and is not a safety shield for large flying objects.

Also acrylic is very noted to crack at drilled holes if you use 118 degree drill bits. They make special drill bits to drill and the edges of the holes should be touched with a countersink to deburr and not allow a stress riser.

Lexan can be cold bent depending on thickness and desired radius.
Heating Lexan to 250 for a couple of hours (depending on thickness) to drive out moisture and then bending at a high temperature (550F-ish) works very well.

I mean, we are talking chip guards, not space craft applications.

If you are going to use a shower curtain, I recommend this one.

[Edited]

Or a shop safety reminder.

1644031530988.png

Details were posted here a while back. For the curious, this is what happens when you get your finger caught between the vice and a 3/4" end mill. Be safe.

Last edited:
Back