[How-To] Milling Flats/Slabs on Actions

TX COWDOC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Good afternoon -
I searched for and could not find any information on the suggested techniques for milling a flat side on an action (e.g. Rem 700) for the purpose of engraving. I'm interested in feedback and opinions on this. Thank you -

Not having done it myself, I would think that a surface grinder would give you the best result. You could mill it, Rem 700s are tough steel but still machinable. Face milling might might not leave a great finish, but hand finishing afterwards would probably be acceptable. Same thing for side milling. Is a flat surface required for your engraving method?

Thinking on it, I'd probably try a 2-1/2" insert face mill because I have one on hand and it leaves a beautiful finish. Otherwise, a good end mill, but you'll have to finish it by hand to make it smooth enough for engraving. I've never worked a Rem 700 receiver in the mill, only in the lathe (no issues), with a Dremel (feed ramp mods) and by hand. I'd just take the DOC and feed slow until you get a feel for how it cuts.

Depending on what you are doing (inscriptions or decorative), how big of an area, and whether you go the full length of the receiver would play a part in how the part would actually be cut. If you just want a short flat, like 2-3", then an end mill would be a good choice. Based on how the receivers machine in the lathe, I think a sharp quality HSS end mill would do fine.

Back