Mill Search

Fussion360 is free for noncommercial use. It's one way to get your feet wet before spending the money. Others go the diy route and purchase benchmills and cnc them. Its alot cheaper, but you need to learn alot of different things.

Fussion360 is free for noncommercial use. It's one way to get your feet wet before spending the money. Others go the diy route and purchase benchmills and cnc them. Its alot cheaper, but you need to learn alot of different things.
I definitely don’t want to build a CNC. I don’t mind learning CAD, but I have no desire to build the controls and I suspect the programming language for DIY CNC is less than intuitive.

It is indeed a lot to consider, cost, space, features, quality and the kind of parts you want to make. I've been going through a similar process as I put my shop together. The space killers are the wood working machines, especially the table saw. I am doing wheels on a lot of things but feel the table saw, mill and lathe should be stationary. I think the "buy the biggest mill you can fit and afford" comes from many who had first bought small then, after a short while, wanted more... I do think it make sense if you think you might want to "eventually" work on bigger projects...

I have a manual mill that I was to eventually convert to CNC, or I might just get a used CNC mill and upgrade the controls/electronics, as a second mill. The DIY software is not so primitive, check out Mach 3 & 4.

Really comes down to what you want to make at the end of the day and how much you will be using it. My understanding is that the the used Tormach market, they sell very quickly with very little depreciation. On CNC, you would need some form of chip evacuation and coolant system to achieve the speed and finish. Otherwise you will just be regrinding chips and probably burning up the end mills. You do not want to be poking around the cuter head when it is moving. This dictates a more dedicated enclosure and space. I have used a Bridgeport style CNC in manual, and it works just fine, but either you are going to be spending a lot more or have an older used CNC mill that may no longer be supported, nor interface with software.

If you where to go with a 833 or 835, you would be at a much lower entry cost level. If you got the CNC bug at a later point you could get a smaller benchtop mill to convert, or concider the entry level Tormach.

Really comes down to what you want to make at the end of the day and how much you will be using it. My understanding is that the the used Tormach market, they sell very quickly with very little depreciation. On CNC, you would need some form of chip evacuation and coolant system to achieve the speed and finish. Otherwise you will just be regrinding chips and probably burning up the end mills. You do not want to be poking around the cuter head when it is moving. This dictates a more dedicated enclosure and space. I have used a Bridgeport style CNC in manual, and it works just fine, but either you are going to be spending a lot more or have an older used CNC mill that may no longer be supported, nor interface with software.

If you where to go with a 833 or 835, you would be at a much lower entry cost level. If you got the CNC bug at a later point you could get a smaller benchtop mill to convert, or concider the entry level Tormach.
MK,
Great advice. Thanks!

I need to learn more about chip evacuation--I'm not crazy about the idea of dealing with coolants spraying all over the inside of the enclosure. I suppose it may not be that big of a deal, but it just looks like a mess to me, and given the multi-purpose of my space I like the idea of just sweeping up oily chips better.
Evan

Evan,
I just got into hobby machining about six years ago and kind of went through all of the brain wrenching exercises that you're going through now, so I'll just give you my two cents worth about what I wanted and ended up with. I definitely had an interest in learning to do some CNC work but didn't want a long, steep learning curve. I also knew that I definitely wanted a machine that was fully capable of manual operation. I also knew I wanted a "full size" machine, so what I ultimately ended up buying was a 2 axis BP EZ Trak mill. By today's CNC standards, the EZ Trak is antiquated but it is still a very capable machine and the beauty is that it has many "canned" functions that make many CNC operations relatively easy because you don't have to write code for those functions. It does also have a lot more capability if you want to write a program for something that can't be done solely with the "canned" functions. Most of my machining is done manually, but it sure is nice to use the CNC functions when I want to mill a circle, arc, curve, etc., etc. and I don't have to set up my 100+ lb. rotary table to do it. Since I don't use my machines every day, and write programs only a few times a year, I find that each time I have to write a program, it is a re-learning experience, so I am very happy that I chose a machine with a relatively simple CNC learning curve. Just some food for thought.

As a side note, I have seen your posts on the Cobra forums, so we apparently have more than one hobby interest in common.

Ted

Ted,
We may have met at the BACC event in Paso Robles?

Thanks for the input. So you have a full-sized Bridgeport and added the EZ Track 2D CNC? Do you machine dry, or use coolant?

Last edited:
Evan,
Yes, my mill is a full size Bridgeport and the EZ Trak was Bridgeport's CNC system for a period of time in the 1990's, so the mill was built by BP with CNC. The main point I was trying to make is that if you're not using the CNC on a regular basis, your memory has to be a lot better than mine (which isn't saying much :)) to be somewhat proficient at writing programming. That's why I like a CNC with a lot of basic "canned" functions that you don't have to write a program to do.

I typically machine dry. Once in a while I'll use WD-40 on aluminum. I usually use carbide tooling for machining steel and HSS for machining aluminum. On my lathe I do have flood coolant (although I do not use a water based coolant, I use Mobil 766 cutting oil).

I don't think we've met. I've just read your posts on two of the Cobra forums.

Ted

Back