Mill question

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
I need to mill a v across a flat 3/4" by 2" foot long flat bar to match the bed on my lathe. Would you tilt the head or angle the bar? Low experience level.

Unless you have a 24" vee block, you should be able to clamp with more stability directly to the table. This will keep things straight. I would probably make or buy a cutter just to avoid nodding the head, but that will allow a standard end mill to be used.

If I was doing this, I would use a cutter with the correct angle.

The time it takes to tram a head in and vise in and all that jazz, I would do my level best to work around messing it up.

I need to mill a v across a flat 3/4" by 2" foot long flat bar to match the bed on my lathe. Would you tilt the head or angle the bar? Low experience level.
Does it need to be a foot long? I would go to great lengths to avoid tilting the head. I'd purchase a V form mill cutter, or use an angle block or sine plate to set the angle. Can you not make the V in a piece long enough to span the bed and bolt a longer piece to it?
What is this for?
Chuck

I'd just tilt the head. Tramming in the head shouldn't take more than 15 min. once you've done it a few times.

i would tilt the head. but first is the bar 3/4 X2 inches one foot long? or ? assuming that is the case it is hard to set up any material on an angle and get it accurate and secure.
no big deal tramming the machine. i put a piece of plate glass on the bed and use a last word with a dog leg bar to sweep the head in. that gets us hobbiests close enough. just a change in temp from morning to night in your shop will change your machine settings.

My apologies. I misread the material as 3/4 x 24" of some unknown width, rather than as stated, 3/4 x 2 x 12". But my thinking remains unchanged.

I will add though, that if you have a mill that will not nod, that option is not available, so you should probably get or make a cutter. Tilting the material would be my second choice if I could not nod the head.

I need to mill a v across a flat 3/4" by 2" foot long flat bar..........
Are you milling the length of the bar or across the.....? If you are milling on the short sides you could use vee blocks as suggested by Tony.

Cheers Phil

I should have explained a little more. It is going to be a new base for my steady rest. The steady rest was for some unknown lathe so I am going to make a new base. I have to mill a v across the 2" portion of the bar on one end. The bar is approx. 3/4" x 2" x 12". Thanks for all the ideas. Got to try to learn is my moto but I like to have as much information from people wiser than me before I start. Tough trying to learn something new at 62.

Back