Mill gib lock actuators

GKShop

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I am looking into fitting some sort of actuator to my mill gib locks as part of a partial automation project that I’m undertaking. The mill is a craftex cx601, essentially a grizzly g0704, and it has the standard two plastic handles to screw in two set screws per gib. I had looked at this awhile ago and thought I found a kit you could buy or a project log that did something similar, but can’t find it anymore. I was thinking of using either a rotary actuator or a stepper motor to turn the locking screw, but I’m concerned about over tightening, so I’d like some sort of torque limiter too. Has anyone tried something similar or come across a build log for someone who has?

Interesting. I have not come across such a question before.
Perhaps someone with some knowledge will chime in......

Good Luck!
Brian

I don't think you will have a concern regarding excessive torque with a stepper. Usually, the issue is a lack of torque. At any rate, you can size the stepper as needed. Also, you can control the current to limit torque.

Hi All,

I am looking into fitting some sort of actuator to my mill gib locks as part of a partial automation project that I’m undertaking. The mill is a craftex cx601, essentially a grizzly g0704, and it has the standard two plastic handles to screw in two set screws per gib. I had looked at this awhile ago and thought I found a kit you could buy or a project log that did something similar, but can’t find it anymore. I was thinking of using either a rotary actuator or a stepper motor to turn the locking screw, but I’m concerned about over tightening, so I’d like some sort of torque limiter too. Has anyone tried something similar or come across a build log for someone who has?

Is this a CNC build?

If so the scale feedback and software should keep things stable.

Our Bridgeport conversion had the hand wheels constantly moving back and forth a few thou just sitting idle to hold position.

I would think steppers with gear reduction would work. Or if you convert to ball-screws, you won't need the gib locks.

Bimba air cylinders, a clevis and a PLC or arduino to trigger a 5 way air valve.

Is this a CNC build?

If so the scale feedback and software should keep things stable.

Our Bridgeport conversion had the hand wheels constantly moving back and forth a few thou just sitting idle to hold position.
Not a CNC build, yet...maybe one day. I am using steppers on each axis, but only for power feed and only because I have some spare motors/controllers around

I would think steppers with gear reduction would work. Or if you convert to ball-screws, you won't need the gib locks.
Do you mean I wont need the gib locks because the stepper holding torque would be enough (once backlash was significantly reduced a la ballscrews)?

Do you mean I wont need the gib locks because the stepper holding torque would be enough (once backlash was significantly reduced a la ballscrews)?
Yes

Back