[How do I?] Mill From The Top Or The Side?

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
I have 2 pieces of 2 by 2 angle iron, 3/8ths thick. I'm using my gorton 9-j mill. Is it best to mill on the vertical leg, with a cutter or the horizontal leg with a rougher.
I need to remove 1/2 inch and they are 5 foot long.
Thanks ron

i would probably do it with the leg up, and end mill it, literally the end of the end mill, you could use your horizontal in the same fashion, leg up, but you may be able to take that in 2 passes or even 1 with the horizontal cutter

I first tried eith leg up with. 4 flute 1 in carbide mill. Even at just 100 th had to feed slow and didn't like the noise.
So I rolled it over where the top leg was flat, had to indicate both vises. Used. A 1 in rougher, using the side of the mill. Took 250 tha pass at a good feed rate ,worked great, quite no vibrations, remember I milled 10 feet of this.
Thanks ron

Another thing you can do with the leg up is use a block pushing against the leg into the fixed jaw, glad it worked out

The 1" end mill was way to large for milling on the top A 3/8" would of worked much better. Glad you got er done.

Kd4gij Can you explain this to me? I'm just learning as I go , so any all the help I can get is great.
Thanks ron

A one inch cutter makes alot more tool pressure than a 3/8, so less chance of deflection and chatter

I didn't think I would get any deflection at all with a 1 inch cutter?
Thanks ron

I didn't think I would get any deflection at all with a 1 inch cutter?

The end mill probably isn't deflecting much but it will push the work around. A 3/8 end mill won't put as much pressure on the work so less deflection of the work.

It is quite amazing how much an indicator moves with small pushes here and there on a knee mill, like wow really, I barely touched it lol

Back