[How do I?] Mill A Dovetail

glad to setup and re-grind the tips a little to produce a cutting edge for the next time its needed.

Absolutely, true. But, that doesn't resolve that churning feeling in your gut.
Regardless, this is supposed to be a fun challenge and not a fear inducing operation.
Have a good time and know that no one at HM is going to drop you on your head if things go bad.

Daryl
MN

If you damage the tips of your dovetail cutter, continue cutting (making sure no pieces of HSS are stuck in the work) then file the corners in with a knife edge file to sharpen them up.

In a friends shop, (because the only dovetail cutter I had was too large for my mill) I milled over two feet of dovetails in aluminum. I believe it was 2200 RPM with a 1.25" diameter cutter, and as fast as his bridgeport power feed could feed. I didn't want to take up his machine for long hence the fast feeds and speeds. Cutter edges and tips still sharp, although not the best practice.

I made the item you are talking about. It works really nice. I posted info about it sometime back. The way I cut dovetails is to cut out the center with straight mill and then cut the sides. I also cut the center of the slot about .004 too .005 in. deeper to keep the cutter from dragging on bottom. Keep the dovetails as tight as possible, I used lapping compound to lap together. I made mine from 4140 because it was what I had on hand, so 1018 should work great. Take your time and read the article very closely. The only part that you need to pay special attention too is the camshaft as this is what controls the movement of the slide. Good luck.

Will you be posting pics of finished item. I'm a visual type person. Might be a project to put on my wish list.
Jack

Andre, im gonna stab at you a little, when you asked about gun sights and stating the degree for the dovetail, I wondered if you just skimmed over his post, he wanted to cut a two inch dovetail:idea:, what kind of gun has a two inch dovetail? a canon maybe? lol

Andre, im gonna stab at you a little, when you asked about gun sights and stating the degree for the dovetail, I wondered if you just skimmed over his post, he wanted to cut a two inch dovetail:idea:, what kind of gun has a two inch dovetail? a canon maybe? lol

I actually didn't see that part, but a gun sight still works as an example.

The correct size cutter is due to arrive from Grizz today. The cam is a problem because it won't fit in my four jaw which won't close to .375". I am running a 13x36 Clausing.

Take a hard maple block, or any hardwood for that matter. Bore a tight fitting .375" hole to fit the shaft, then mill the outside square. Doesn't really have to be square, just make sure the sides are parallel to the bore.

Then chuck the block up in the 4-jaw and use jaw pressure to crush the wood gripping the shaft. Or, use an aluminum block and cut a slit down one side. Wood won't be as precise, but it depends on the application of the small shaft in question.

Well if your 4 jaw won't close to 3/8" start with a piece of stock that it will tighten on and turn it down to 3/8" I have done that many times.

Brilliant. Now why didn't I think of that? You guys are great. Thank you.---Matt

Back