MIG Gas - Buy or Lease? - Tank Size?

IMHO. I would buy. I have a 125 C.I. 75-25% tank. The initial purchase is the price. After that you only have to swap out the tanks at your LWS. I just swapped mine out two weeks ago at AirGas for $42.00. I deal with one particular guy there and he's good to me on the prices. Takes a little off on the amount. I thing I get a contractor price. AirGas is probably the closest place for me s
and that's where I bought the tank. I have a Lincoln 180c and am very happy about it.

Hi. It depends on how much welding you do. I don't use much gas, since I mostly do gas-less welding. I own small tanks of oxygen, argon, and carbon dioxide. If you plan to do a lot of welding, the hassle of small tanks is not worth it. The welding shop near my home rents medium tanks for $4 per month and $120 refundable deposit. You can burn through a tank of oxygen in one heavy session, then you will be glad that you have the bigger tank. But, most of my cutting is with a hot chisel and a striker, or a saw. My little 40 cf oxygen lasts me 1-2 years. I picked this up for $60 on Craigslist. Do the math. This tank paid for itself in a little over a year. If you fill a lot, the rentals are worth it, since they cost less per cubic foot, and you have to go in less.

I have a buddy who used to weld a lot. He rented 2 large tanks. Then, he stopped welding for a few years, and put the tanks in a storage unit. He could have bought 3 sets of tanks new for what he paid in rental fees. Rent your first set of tanks and see how you like welding. But, make sure to return them as soon as you find out that you aren't using them. Also, keep an eye on Craigslist. Then, move fast.

I own a tiny argon tank which I bought on Craigslist for $20. It takes me a year to go through this thing, since I only use it to fix boo-boo's. I lent it to a neighbor who was migging a broken aluminum trailer. After going in to refill it several times in a few weeks, he figured that the rental was a better idea,

If you're a welding shop, rent.....you return empties before the month end and do not pay rent on the empties sitting around. You can keep 10 bottles and only pay rent on what you have on hand on billing day. Some call it demurrage.

If you're a hobbyist, buy. Rent will pay for bottles in a few months or a year or two depending on what size you buy. Buy the largest you can fit in, or are allowed to. Generally the WS will not sell outright the larger size, so if you plan on a lot of use, renting may be your only practical option. Unless it were pretty extreme, for a hobbyist, I'd say even buying 2 smaller bottles so you would rarely run out is not out of the question. At least on the higher consumption gases.

I run a one man shop (me) but I don't do a ton of welding. It's machine shop, after all. But I have 2 MIG machines, and each has a bottle which I own. And I have a bottle for my TIG, and a set for oxy-fuel. I own all of them. I have been down the rental path, and for my use, buying makes more sense. If it's a weekend job, I plan for it......or an emergency, I jusst have to hope I have enough gas on hand, or it has to wait. Actually I have friends I can probably borrow gas from. But in the last 17 years of having my own shop, never had a problem doing it the way I do.

Around here I looked when I first purchased my Oxy Acetylene outfit. If you are not going to go through the gas regularly and fairly quickly, you are way ahead to purchase your cylinders. The rent eats up the cost of a cylinder very quickly! Did the same when I purchased my MIG unit.
Jim

I own all of my tanks as well. i have the receipts for them and when I change them out I don't have to worry about them being tested every 4-5 years etc. The weld/gas shop is about 3 miles from my house and my buddy owns it so he has even come and got me a tank on Sunday...lol!

Back