Midas1220xl carriage stop

fieldmouse

Registered
Registered
I'm a new owner of an old smithy 1220xl. I'm really enjoying it, not sure if can replace my southbend 9 but I'd like it to, just to save space. I have a bunch of questions and this seems to be the only active forum on the interweb. Hopefully my dumb questions will save someone else the embarrassment of having to ask!
First question, how do people attach things like an indicator holder or a carriage stop to the ways? It seems as if I have to span both dovetails as there is no surfaces to clamp against.
Thanks, mouse

I found a photo of my bench lathe that is similar to your Smithy but without the mill . The picture shows the steady rest I made that has the dovetail and the aluminum brackets that I use to hold a stop rod and also I can take an indicator and mount it to it . I can take pictures if I’m not explaining it clearly

Attachments

• IMG_3890.HEIC
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
I found a photo of my bench lathe that is similar to your Smithy but without the mill . The picture shows the steady rest I made that has the dovetail and the aluminum brackets that I use to hold a stop rod and also I can take an indicator and mount it to it . I can take pictures if I’m not explaining it clearly
That's exactly what I wanted to see. Thanks.
I like the steady rest as well, sure is stout!
Mouse

Well there's the thing, it doesn't seem to be. At least at the ripe old age of 80 for the SB. I've spend a few weeks getting to know the smithy and then this weekend went back to the south bend. The smithy definitely is tighter and produced a better surface finish for me. Yes the smithy is a PIA to operate and isn't nearly as long but I'm happy with the cuts it makes. Worse backlash, the dials are a close apprx of travel, it's ugly , I wish the chuck mount system wasn't so unique. No travel for the tail stock.
But it fits in my shop better, I can mill on it I like the power feed more then I thought I would. Now if I could trade my SB for a bench top mill and just pull off the mill head from the smithy.....
Mouse

I'm a new owner of an old smithy 1220xl. I'm really enjoying it, not sure if can replace my southbend 9 but I'd like it to, just to save space. I have a bunch of questions and this seems to be the only active forum on the interweb. Hopefully my dumb questions will save someone else the embarrassment of having to ask!
First question, how do people attach things like an indicator holder or a carriage stop to the ways? It seems as if I have to span both dovetails as there is no surfaces to clamp against.
Thanks, mouse
Here's a picture of a holder for both a carriage stop and a dial indicator for my Smithy Granite - very similar to what @Alcap posted. The carriage stop itself is a modified version of one designed for an Atlas lathe and plans are posted on Tom Griffin's YouTube channel. You can also find plans for a holder in the Smithy ioGroup Files section.

HTH, Bill

Carriage Stop and Indicator Holder on Smithy.JPG

Last edited:
Keep your South Bend, it's a far far better lathe
Most likely easier to get parts for also. I have the midas also and it’s a discontinued model. I needed quite a few parts to keep mine going. It’s the only lathe I have. I do not have a budget or funds or plans to upgrade it. So trying to fix it and keep it going, it’s like my only option. So im looking to learn how to make custom acme threads as my lead screws are not common size
10 TPI is the only think “common”
Smithy could not even give specs on parts they no longer can provide.
Well there's the thing, it doesn't seem to be. At least at the ripe old age of 80 for the SB. I've spend a few weeks getting to know the smithy and then this weekend went back to the south bend. The smithy definitely is tighter and produced a better surface finish for me. Yes the smithy is a PIA to operate and isn't nearly as long but I'm happy with the cuts it makes. Worse backlash, the dials are a close apprx of travel, it's ugly , I wish the chuck mount system wasn't so unique. No travel for the tail stock.
But it fits in my shop better, I can mill on it I like the power feed more then I thought I would. Now if I could trade my SB for a bench top mill and just pull off the mill head from the smithy.....
Mouse
might be my approach. The mill has been nothing but problems for me.

Last edited:
That's a fine looking carriage stop/ indicator holder! I'm also concerned about future parts availability. I wonder how many midas1220s are out there, seems like a market for a niche machinist.
Mouse

That's a fine looking carriage stop/ indicator holder! I'm also concerned about future parts availability. I wonder how many midas1220s are out there, seems like a market for a niche machinist.
Mouse
Well i need the cross slide nut and the lead screw nut assembly.

Back