Midas dc motor conversion

fieldmouse

Registered
Registered
My first question was answered so well here's my next one. The couple of times so far I wanted to really slow down the machine I really missed the back gears of my south bend. That and it's kinda difficult to change speeds. I have a good dc motor and controller waiting to go on a drill press that might be a good candidate for changing to a speed controlled dc motor. Has any body here done this. Was there enough torque low end? I welcome anyone's 2 cents on the matter.
Thanks, mouse
P.s. it was for cut off operations I wanted the slower speed

Depends on the controller- what kind do you have?
If it has feedback it can give good low end torque, but not quite like a backgear

I have a scr controller with a rectifier. Seems to work well but I haven't used it under load yet. What does feedback mean in this context?
Mouse

You'd have to show me- if it's like a light dimmer then no, it wouldn't have good torque compensation
You want a closed-loop type of controller like a treadmill has
Something with either armature feedback or an encoder
There should be an adjustment called IR comp or I/R

Last edited:
Here's the description rather then the Amazon link, it should get you there.
AC 110V 230V 10000W Voltage Regulator, Electronic Thyristor Voltage Regulator, SCR Voltage Regulator Dimmer, Motor Speed Controller

No that likely won't work well for lathe use- it's essentially a light dimmer, it won't hold the speed constant with varying loads
You would want something like a KB electronics unit or Dart controls, or a circuit board from a treadmill w/control panel
Simple light dimmer phase controls aren't sophisticated enough

Last edited:
I replaced the ac induction motor on my lathe with a brushed dc motor and a custom controller of my own design. I can achieve control with usable torque over a 100:1 speed range. I use a home built encoder to provide feedback to a PWM control.

Check out dazecars on YouTube. He has done these conversions on a couple pieces of equipment. I be,I’ve one was a smithy, or a copy.

Yes, that's where I got my dim ideas from. I actually ordered my components thru his links just to kick back a little something.

I’m looking for a donor treadmill. If I can locate one, it’s going on the smithy.

If that works well, I’ll probably do the south bend as too.

Back