Micrometer

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I picked up this 1960 vintage micrometer set. 2 questions, does anyone know who made them, And how to take them apart to clean them thay are stamped DC under the name

craftsman mic set.jpg

Check them with those mic standards to see if they're close and record those results. Then turn the thimble opening them until it comes out. Clean the thimble's threads with a mild solvent and a soft bristled toothbrush. A nylon bristled tube brush and more solvent to clean the female threads in the frame.
Air dry, blow them out and peer down there for any foreign boogers. Remove any by brushing again.
Use light oil (sewing machine oil) on the threads. Be frugal with the oil to avoid messes in use and storage. Now check them again with those standards. If you have gauge blocks use those. I have found most mic standards to be inaccurate for real accuracy. Adjustment back to a known value can be accomplished with a mic wrench (which I don't see in the tray). If you don't have or find a mic wrench get ahold of me with your address. I have some you can have. Free.

I have a couple of old Starretts that look similar

Attachments

• IMG_0003[1].JPG
    IMG_0003[1].JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 11
Starrett mikes look similar to most all mikes, but they always have a black painted frame except the bright steel or satin chrome finish, those pictured in the original post looked to have a wrinkle finish frame, as did Lufkin mikes.

Check them with those mic standards to see if they're close and record those results. Then turn the thimble opening them until it comes out. Clean the thimble's threads with a mild solvent and a soft bristled toothbrush. A nylon bristled tube brush and more solvent to clean the female threads in the frame.
Air dry, blow them out and peer down there for any foreign boogers. Remove any by brushing again.
Use light oil (sewing machine oil) on the threads. Be frugal with the oil to avoid messes in use and storage. Now check them again with those standards. If you have gauge blocks use those. I have found most mic standards to be inaccurate for real accuracy. Adjustment back to a known value can be accomplished with a mic wrench (which I don't see in the tray). If you don't have or find a mic wrench get ahold of me with your address. I have some you can have. Free.

The 2-3 mic the thimble is frozen and won't turn. I got the top of the thimble off and have it soaking in pb blaster

Attachments

• craftsman mic 2.jpg
    craftsman mic 2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
It looks like a split taper collar between the thimble and stem. If it doesn't come loose by tomorrow, I may try a little heat with a heat gun

From what I remember... Craftsman micrometers were made by Sherr-Tumico... But those sure look a lot like the Starretts that @bill stupak shared in his photo...

It looks like a split taper collar between the thimble and stem. If it doesn't come loose by tomorrow, I may try a little heat with a heat gun
Bad idea; let it soak.

Well I got it turning smooth, now need to get the clutch freed up.
From what I remember... Craftsman micrometers were made by Sherr-Tumico... But those sure look a lot like the Starretts that @bill stupak shared in his photo...

them and Central tools.

1665320594136.png

Back