micrometer reading chart

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've searched but can't find one as of yet so I figured I would ask you folks I'm looking for a basic diagram that shows how to properly read a micrometer that I can laminate and hang up on the wall anyone know of one ??

Here is a great video on how to read a micrometer, hopefully this helps. No charts I'm aware of sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHKAcQzS3Q

is that mrpete22's
No it's not, he has a good one you might want to watch.
I am going to watch this one later, it looks good too.
There pretty easy to learn though, although, I don't read one a lot, so I am not Like
BAM!! .0267 or nothing, takes me a minuet or less, but If I can learn it, you can.
I am pretty bad in math and stuff like that.

Jims link is a good one to print for new people that want a reminder of how to read a micrometer which can be hung right next the machine for reference.

This is a drawing that I made for a friends son who is in some sort of Auto Tech. school, I had to tutor him in reading micrometers and it was a challenge because I lack patience.

It helps to count the lines after the whole number in .025 increments, in this case .200- .225- .250 then the thimble of .005.
The tenth scale is a vernier numbered 1-9 on the other side, whichever line on this scale lines up with another line is the number of tenths. I have been reading micrometers every working day for 30+ years and still count the lines (-:
vn1s2g.jpg

vn1s2g.jpg

The tenth scale is a vernier numbered 1-9 on the other side, whichever line on this scale lines up with another line is the number of tenths. I have been reading micrometers every working day for 30+ years and still count the lines (-:
vn1s2g.jpg

If you can still read the vernier you're doing better than me. My 60 year old eyes can't do it. So, now i just work to 1/2 a thou, good 'nuff for a hobby. At least most of the time.

Karl

vn1s2g.jpg

If you can still read the vernier you're doing better than me. My 60 year old eyes can't do it. So, now i just work to 1/2 a thou, good 'nuff for a hobby. At least most of the time.

Karl

I hear ya Karl, I keep a 10x jewelers loupe in my pocket :lmao:

The only "tricky" part I have found reading a micrometer is "guessing" the 4th place on the veneer when it's between divisions. As an example, is .2457 or .2458? Both look about right at times. :bitingnails:

While one or the other has no bearing on what I am doing as most any thing +/- .002 is more than good enough, it does keep the mind sharp and in practice using the tool.

Mark

This won't help in understanding the numbers, but if you get accustomed to holding the mike (if you're right handed) in you're right hand, with your little finger through the loop in the frame, frame on your palm and your third finger supporting the body of the mike. Use your thumb and fore-finger to turn the barrel. Over 40 years its' become second nature, I had to go get a mike to see just how I held it, couldn't remember.

Back