Micro-mark 7x16 lathe bearing upgrade

Sk8ter

Active User
Registered
The project of the day today.... was to Remove the ball bearings in the headstock and replace with a taper roller bearings....

I am sorry i did not take pictures but i just wanted to get it done...

if you own a seig 7x lathe this should be at the very top of the list to do IMO

the improvement is quite huge makes you feel like you have a precision lathe :)):))
NO MORE Chatter!!!

a worthy 34 dollar upgrade

Lawrence

All the 7x? lathes are the same, right? As in what bearing numbers did you use in yours so I can put them in my grizzly?

Two of these?

30206-nachi-1.jpg
30206-nachi-2.jpg
tapered-nachi.jpg

30206 is single-row tapered roller bearing can support a combined radial and axial load, the cage is Chrome Steel, 30206 inner diameter is 30mm, 30206 outer diameter is 62mm and 30206 width is 16mm.

• Item: 30206 Nachi Ball Bearing
    [*]Type: Nachi Tapered Roller Ball Bearing
    [*]Cage: Chrome Steel
    [*]Dimensions: 30mm x 62mm x 16mm/Metric
    [*]ID (inner diameter)/Bore: 30mm
    [*]OD (outer diameter): 62mm
    [*]Width/Height/thickness: 16mm
    [*]Size: 30 x 62 x 16 mm
    [*]Quantity: One Bearing
    [*]Dynamic load rating Cr: 41,500 N
    [*]Static load rating Cor: 44,800 N
    [*]Limiting Speed:
    • Grease Lubrication: 6,500 RPM
    • Oil Lubrication: 8,700 RPM

[*]Made in Japan

Dimensions (mm)
d
D
B
T
c
r
a
1~1.6

Yes but not so sure you should have posted that...but yes this is what i used..

you will most likely need to trim down one or both of the plastic spacers on the gear side of the spindle...if you need more help just ask

Lawrence

Think I can wing it, my ex was right abt one thing, I don't own anything I haven't modified. I wanted to preserve the bearing info for after that listing is gone. I think it will be ok.

alright great then...maybe you can post some pictures where i didn't

not too bad my suggestions would be after removing the OB clean the seating area good...

the rest should be straight forward....

any help i do be just ask..

Lawrence

Wow, this is great info. Just bought a 7x16 and am fixing/upgrading some stuff. Would be a great time to do this? :)

Edit: Is this possible without a press? Just realized the spindle/bearings are probably press fit. :(

I'm in the middle of upgrading the bearings on the POS Micro Mark 7x16 myself. I'm beginning to think I made a huge mistake buying it and selling my eleven year old HF that I tweaked to the max. So far EVERYTHING that should be accurate isn't even close! Now I find that the Head Stock doesn't even sit flat! It rocks up and down on the flat side(back) and won't even contact the prism correctly on the front. I'm so ****** I'm contemplating boxing the whole thing up and shipping it back to those shysters in NJ! :*****slap2:

Rant Over (sorry bout that folks):whiteflag:

now for the real reason I posted.

The original bearings came off very hard. Luckily I had a HF 12 ton hydraulic press handy. How did you reduce the diameter of the rear bearing surface so the rear tapered bearing can be adjustable?

sorry your having a hard time...what is an HF lathe?

sounds like you have gotten a lemon...the micro-mark seig 7X versions are suppose to be better (more accurate) right out of the box.....mine did require some special attention but overall its good to go and mucho better now with the taper bearing....

I did not require a press to remove the bearings when i got the spindle out the bearings stayed in there ...so i used some wood and hammer and got them out...cleaned the bearing area real good and tapped in the new bearing race....once started square in the boar just tap them you can use the old bearing to do the final seating of the race....

this setup does not have adjustability for the front and rear separately but singly all done with the spanner collar nut i hope this makes sense...

but if your lathes headstock is not square to the bed you will never make it right....contact them immediately!!! do not wait let them take care of the shipping etc...let them make it right...from what i have seen so far micro-mark is an ok company .....remember no one is a mind reader you must explain and tell your story them...

I will say nothing is perfect either but when you get the little stuff sorted out and put taper bearings in you understand how good things can be..

Lawrence

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, this is great info. Just bought a 7x16 and am fixing/upgrading some stuff. Would be a great time to do this? :)

Edit: Is this possible without a press? Just realized the spindle/bearings are probably press fit. :(

yes and no.....until you live with the crappy ball bearings you would never appreciate how much better the taper bearings really are...

I will say getter done will save you a ton of grief in the long run

I can/will help if you need it just ask

Lawrence

Back