MFB Spindle bearings, need to find part numbers

kilohertz

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,

I am working my way through restoration of my newly acquired MFB mill and have the spindle out and have decided to replace the Timken bearings, but I don't want to pound out the bearing cups until I am sure I can get new ones. The bearings are Timken 07087 and there are 3 cups that I have found, 07204, 07205 and 07210. Could someone please confirm what the correct bearing cup number is?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Another update from the shop...I found the original grub screw for the bull gear inside the machine, cool, and got the arbor drive off the spindle and continued cleaning and found one other missing part. There is a keyed washer on top of the lift screw for the knee, goes right under the 2 jamb nuts, it's missing, not sure why it's keyed. Would there be any issue with just using a nice clean machined washer there?

I also decided to keep the original Timken bearings for now, they seem really smooth now that they are clean, won't know for sure until they are torqued to spec. . I also need to find an inner bearing seal, probably a wheel bearing seal would work if I find the right dimensions.

That's it for now.

Cheers

The bearing seals are actually shields. They are just stamped sheet metal. They don't retain oil or seal the bearings, they just keep large chips out. I have operated my MFC without the inner shields in place for several years without issue.

My table jack assembly has a thrust bearing (ball bearing) at the top of the jack screw. It sounds like yours is missing? There is an owner's manual with assembly diagrams in the Hobby Machinist downloads section. You will need to donate to Hobby Machinist ($10 minimum) to get access to the downloads section. The manual is definitely worth having. Look for the 1948 version. The other version in Downloads (1962) is incomplete.

One of the setscrews on the spindle pulley is just a plug for an oil hole. The idea is to remove the screw, apply oil, and replace the screw but not to tighten it down. It just closes the hole.

Thanks for the reply.

Well I have already spent the time and found a seal that will fit the inside perfectly, it's only $7 and will be here tomorrow. It is 1.25" shaft diameter so oil can still spill over the top. It should help retain a bit of oil for the bearing to pickup, otherwise it just runs right out into the housing. I wonder if there would be any benefit to actually providing a better seal, at least around the bottom to help retain some oil?

My table jack screw has the 3 piece thrust bearing, it goes below the knee, the keyed washer goes above the knee, right below the double nuts on the shaft. You can see it in the parts diagram, they call it lipped washer S7-163.

Thanks again for the help, looking forward to getting it back together and trying it out.

Cheers

Back