Metric Threading on 12 x 36 w/QCGB

roadie33

Active User
Registered
I've searched and so far cannot find out how to do metric threading on my Craftsman 12 x 36 with a QCGB.
I need to do some 1.5mm Metric threading on my ER40 Collet chuck, but can't seem to find the info for doing that with a QCGB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike,

You need a MOLO printed 1968 or later (actually 1957-1967 has the metric table but photos won't show the lever power cross feed or clutch). They are pretty common on eBay for $25-$35. Or you can buy the 1988 Edition direct from Clausing for (I think) $35. You do not want one dated 1955 or 1937.

Robert D.

Last edited:
I have one of these already. Don't know what year it is. I did not know it would work for my craftsman too.

Atlas1FS_001.jpg

I'll look it over and see if it would help.
So far it seems I might need some extra gears to do Metric threading? Is that correct?

Atlas1FS_001.jpg

Atlas1FS_001.jpg

Mike,

That looks like one of the copies off of eBay. Look on the back of the title page and you should see (assuming that they copied everything) a list of years beginning 1937. The last one is the year that the original to your copy was printed. So long as that is 1957 or later, it will have the correct table. For 1.5 mm you will need a 52T gear. The 40 and 48 (two actually) and the two keyed bushings necessary are already on the quadrant. Page 127 shows what should already be there. You remove the 40T and two 48T gears, move one of the 48T over to mesh with the Tumbler compound gear in the IN position, and install the 40T and then the 52T where the two 48T were. The 48T meshes with the 40T and the 52T meshes with the QCGB. For some metric threads you will need a third bolt, axle, keyed bushing, flat washer and nut. Plus various gears.

From 1957 on, the only difference between the Atlas and the Craftsman manual versions were the front covers. Because the only different between the lathes was the badge and nameplate.

Robert D.

this is a interesting coincidence, I'm in the process of making a ER40 chuck for mine as well. My only problem is that the quadrant on my gearbox has been broken and i don't think that the gears are going to work correctly. I may have to make a new quadrant before I can thread the metric thread.

Art B

After looking at the info and finding that I would need to purchase extra gears and other items. All of this to do Metric threads for a few projects is not cost effective for me. I compared what the extra's could cost and the cost of a good set of Metric Tap and Die. I believe that I will just purchase a set of the larger Metric Tap and Die and that way be able to do just about any size I should ever need.
I'll just stay with doing American threading on my American Lathe.

Thanks for all of the help.

If you are talking about theading for the nut to hold the collets that isn't going to be in a set.

If you are talking about threading for the nut to hold the collets that isn't going to be in a set.

I realize that.
I have already ordered the M40 x 1.5mm and the M50 x 1.5mm Die. Those seem to be the most common of the Larger size I'll be needing for Projects.
For the price I paid for those 2 Die, I couldn't even buy one of the gears or Bushing needed for doing Metric Threads on the Lathe.

Back