Metric Screws 4.5mm Tool Post Holders

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I am trying to figure out my Shars BXA tool holders which the set screws are 4.5mm.First thing I kinda hate having to have two sets of allen wrenches at the lathe cause I keep getting them mix up so I thought that maybe drill/tap to an imperial size,don't know if that is doable.So I went shopping for a name brand 4.5 T-Handle allen wrench but had no luck finding that which I guess is kinda odd size.So next thought is to maybe just make myself a 4.5 T-Handle since can't seem to find one or Mr.Google couldn't find one.So what's my question?1)Well has anyone change their holders from metric to imperial
2)Have you found a good quality 4.5 T-Handle if so please share
3)Have you made yourself a 4.5 T-Handle if so what kinda material did you use?
I know,not really going to torque the screws down like a lug nut on 18 wheeler but still don't want it to twist.Guys any thoughts on this please share,just kinda goofing off today,just wanted to chat on this subject----kroll

I guess I would put the same set screws in all of the tool holders, metric or imperial. At least they would all be the same.

My 10 piece set of T handles wrenches has a 4,5mm one
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-sae-10-piece-t-handle-hex-key-set-0588829p.html
but I would change out the screws for better quality ones first before buying/making a 4,5mm wrench. Maybe the new screws will have 4 mm sockets.

Thats what I did because the original screws were too soft and the hex socket buggered up quickly. I bought a quality 4mm T wrench which is reserved just for the holders. It gets used so much that it is handier to dedicate a wrench just for that.

Last edited:
A cheap way to make T handle hex wrench. take a 1/4" hex bit screw driver handle and either drill a hole through the handle or remove the handle and weld a cross bar on it.

Back