Methods of finding center of a worn shaft?

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Measure and lay out a center on a worn shaft.
I can pick up a tad of the original dia near the base where it did not wear down. Aprox 1/2 of the shaft dia is intact.
Im just trying to figure out best way to mark the center
I know there are these tools , one I have is way to big. I dont know what sizes they come in.
My current approach will be best guess on dia ,half the dia with the caliper and scribe ad many lines ad I can?

Attachments

• EE47FA2B-3978-4D6A-AD3A-029C2133E2C1.jpeg
    EE47FA2B-3978-4D6A-AD3A-029C2133E2C1.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 06D77017-BC78-4D93-87E9-88D312B4AE09.jpeg
    06D77017-BC78-4D93-87E9-88D312B4AE09.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 39
If you throw it in a 4-jaw and center it (as best as possible) what's the runout? If it wore evenly, that might be sufficient. Is the full-diameter base part big enough to indicate with a dti? How critical is the outcome?

GsT

A little more information would be helpful. Can the unworn section be mounted in a lathe? How accurate does the center need to be?

If you have a vee block , touch off the top and lower height gage 1/2 the diameter of the shaft and scribe perpendicular lines to achieve center . ( if you have these tools )

You probably are going to won't to dust off that .0001th indicator on this.

If you have a vee block , touch off the top and lower height gage 1/2 the diameter of the shaft and scribe perpendicular lines to achieve center . ( if you have these tools )
That ….. is to easy.

That ….. is to easy.
None of those tools. So looks like I
Added tools to make , lol
Wait I do have a V block but the shaft is to short to stick out to scribe it .

Last edited:
If you throw it in a 4-jaw and center it (as best as possible) what's the runout? If it wore evenly, that might be sufficient. Is the full-diameter base part big enough to indicate with a dti? How critical is the outcome?

GsT
Not critical , just needs to be round again. Although The remaining non worn section has just enough to catch the edge of thre Caliper Jaw edge.

FWIW this is what Im doing.
Im not looking to ways to fix it
Just methods to try and find the center.
Even ways to draw it up.
I dont have much in the way of drafting or machining education and limited tools. Very new to it all.

Last edited:
Oh you have a center finder already. That's how I would do it. Use it to scribe several lines through the middle of the object. X marks the spot.

Best Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
Oh you have a center finder already. That's how I would do it. Use it to scribe several lines through the middle of the object. X marks the spot.

Best Regards,
Bob
The center finder I have is huge. The Dia of the part hardly shows
I would like to find one for small diameters. Are they sized for certain dia?

Back