Metal question

Where I used to worked. Government contracts. The heat lot was printed on the side of the bar stock . Had to save 1 drop out of each lot and stamp the number on the end.

I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow. Maybe make some small chunk of decoration with it.

could be monel bill

It's just a heat number. If you have communication with the supplier, they can (they better be able to) supply you with MTR's to identify the material precisely. That number is ladle to grave trace-ability. If you just bought it as a drop from a shop, however, getting them to track down the heat will be more difficult. Not that they couldn't, but it would be hard to justify spending the time for a hobby purchase. It's a pity there isn't an international database with all heat numbers used available to the public, but that will never happen.

But turning the OD and facing leaves a very beautiful finish. Nice and shiny, smooth as silk. That's with carbide insert tooling. This material just laughs at HSS. Bandsaw won't cut it. It starts to cut then just rides on the metal. Weird stuff, at least for me.

Sounds like a nickel chrome alloy, Inconel maybe? Molybdenum?

Where I work we do work for a company that builds bridges. One part they will send 8" tubing or pipe 12" long . To be faced bored and make bronze bushing and 6" pins. Never know what material it is. But it gets welded to steel for hinges. One time I went to face some tub and it was so hard I had to slow down to 33rpm and could only take .025 at a time. I stopped and told our rep to call them they would never be able to weld it to steel. It was not magnetic. Rep said do it they know what they are doing. Will guess what, had to remake them they couldn't weld them. I have no idea what it was.. Oh and I was using a 20x80 gap bed lathe.

Maybe you could measure its coefficient of thermal expansion. Put a 6-inch length in your wife's oven, heat it to a known temperature and measure its length. Then put it in the fridge, cool to a known temperature, and measure its length. The difference would probably only be a few mils. Calculate the CTE and compare to CTE tables to see what materials are close.

Back