Metal brake modification & bandsaw upgrade

hotrats

andy harwood
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, for some reason I want a pan brake. Got a discounted HF 36" one with intentions to follow some YouTube videos. Got to thinking, I have some heavier metal, so, just make one from scratch.
Made a bit of a plan, and started laying out and cutting metal.
1st bump in the road - saw really needs some help with the motor mount. It'a a NorthernTool mitre type. The motor mount is really flimsy. so, I made up a new one, I was at the auto store, and guessed on the new belt length. got close.
I also made a basic adjuster for the motor.
Made a idler pulley too. I had some bearings they were metric. So, figured just buy the one bolt and nut for that. $4.70 for the bolt and nut!
I just have the belt cover pieced together at present, will modify later

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 17
This pan brake is what I wanted. The HF brake is what i was going to modify. The pile of metal is what I came up with instead. (anyone want to buy a HF brake in FL?) The metal I'm using will be heavier than the HF brake. The frame is 6" channel, fingers 1/2x6". The mount for the fingers is 3/4" and the ends 1/2x5". The bending hinge is 3/4" with a piece of 3x3" angle mounted to it

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 10
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 10
  • pan brake.jpg
    pan brake.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I cut some 4x2" tube on a 45 and tack welded to the 1/2x6" that will be the fingers. Seemed to be the easiest way to get a 45 degree edge on it.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 5
Drilled and tapped the support for the finger support bracket, and drilled the fingers plate. Made the camlocks for the fingers. Bolts and all thread for the camlocks are 5/8".
Now, to saw the steel for the fingers and make handles for the camlocks and bending leaf.
Received the last bearing for the mill, so will be able to make handles soon

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg