Merry Christmas! G4003

I Have a G4003G.....

got it last summer....

It a decent deal for the $$. there are a few things i don't like.... The chinese motors are crap. mine was replaced twice.

the 3 jaw chuck i got seems to be pretty good for a 3 jaw. but the 4 jaw was crap. i had to return 6 of them... Yes 6. finally they after many phone calls they sent me a different chuck all together.

all the chucks they sent me the jaws were not parallel... i told them after the first just send me a bison and id pick up the difference but they refused saying they could only send me a replacement. anyhow it cost them more in shipping in the end.

The customer service is pretty good with grizzly.

If i had to do it all over id probably go with a Eisen 13x40 and buy my own chucks... tool post and other accessories

Congrats on your decision to go with the G4003G. From all accounts here, it is a capable machine.

When I was recently looking at lathe specs and charts trying to decide which one to get it came down to three: Griz G4003G, Eisen 12x36, and the PM1340GT (lowest to highest cost).

Couldn't get any warm fuzzies from Eisen, so dropped that one. Knowing quite a bit about Chinese machines, with Griz I was willing to deal with the inevitable assembly/alignment/quality issues as most are relatively minor, and I've had very good experiences with Griz customer service.

Then I find out there is ONE 1340GT still available in the next shipment arriving (hopefully) end of this month or early January. Gnashing my teeth for several days, I finally decided to go with the PM machine and sent a deposit to them. The semi-protracted decision process was basically caused by my trying to decide if I wanted a machine I could put my hands on within a week or sit around for who knows how long waiting for word on a machine that 'should' be of a higher quality and fit/finish. IMO there comes a point of diminishing returns: If both machines can deliver the quality I need for the next 10-20 years, why pay the extra money and deal with the unknowns? Is it ego? I suspect that my previously capable decision making process has been biased by my continued patronage of this site. :(

So...it's the end of Dec and no word yet. I will give it a few more weeks and then if still no word, will make a decision. I'm not going to sit on my hands for months like many here have, waiting on vapor-ware when a little tuning would have me up and running in short order on a G4003G that will also fit my needs for the projects I have in mind. My ego be damned.

I ordered a G4003G!

Now looking into cutting tools and a milling attachment.

Hopefully they deliver it soon, I'm anxious!

A milling attachment (or key way attachment) is used to add another axis and a way to clamp the work peice and instead turn the cutting tool. It can be used for light work, and I believe originally used for cutting key ways invented around 1922.

51LxtHMqA5L._SY355_.jpg

I ordered a G4003G!
So I just got the 2015 Grizzly catalog in the mail.

The price for for 4003G will go up by $45 to $3295 on 1 January 2015.

They are releasing a version of the 4003G with a 3/4 hp R-8 round column mill attachment for $3995.

So I just got the 2015 Grizzly catalog in the mail.

The price for for 4003G will go up by $45 to $3295 on 1 January 2015.

They are releasing a version of the 4003G with a 3/4 hp R-8 round column mill attachment for $3995.

So the 'slip up' with the thumbnails on the current 4003G was maybe the new lathe combo? :thinking:

I don't know how quiet the 750G is but I do know my G4003G in NOT noisy.

with Griz I was willing to deal with the inevitable assembly/alignment/quality issues as most are relatively minor, and I've had very good experiences with Griz customer service.

When my G4003G arrived I checked the headstock and tailstock align. They were dead on. The only adjustments I had to make was to tighten the gibs and adjust the left side change gear clearance as it was a bit loose. My buddy got his a few weeks ago and same story. Clean it, adjust side gears and make chips. I thought his gibs were a bit loose for me but he is making some impressive stuff after only a month with his first lathe.

6literZ,
I think you'll love it. Get yourself a can of open gear lube (Napa or similar) for the side gears.

Dave

I couldn't wait till Tuesday for ups to deliver with lift gate, so I took my truck to their freight center and picked it up!

It was a little difficult getting it out of my truck that has a topper, but I managed and repositioned the slings when I lowered it down from the truck.

Got half the spindle break in done last night. Will complete the rest of the break in and adjustments today. Can't wait!

I had a back injury at work a few years ago and this agravated it again. So I'm in a little pain.

image.jpg

Back