Mercedes automatic transmissions

I like all the SLKs from 98 to 2004. The 230 4 cyl, the 320 V6, and the AMG too. If I could afford it I'd have one of each
and maybe a SL55 also
Of course Maserati is back with a cute little ragtop spyder as well- with a V8
;)
I wonder if the early ML320 had the bushing issue? My brother has a '98 that grenaded at 180K. Had the trans rebuilt- only thing
salvagable was the cases apparently

Last edited:
Yes, all early MLs and other MBs with 722.6 had this bushing issue. I would limit you search to 2000+, unless you know for sure that tranny was rebuilt. If you search, you probably can find tranny s/n when MB implemented change to bearing.
And also look at R129 SLs. I have 2000 SL500 and really like it. Search the one with panoramic roof!
Mike

Mercedes makes good automatics in my opinion. Anything over 3 litre engine gearboxes are considerable stronger, if you find one that has been taken care for and service the gearbox is last thing you need to worry for.

Hey Mike, can a later automatic say from a 2001 be installed in an older SLK? Any issues with fitment or computer?
I'm assuming if you transfer the original trans control module the car doesn't care if the gearbox basically fits

Last edited:
Back