Measuring Pitch Of Thread

So far I have yet to get a bad thread gauge. You could always cut the threads in plastic to see if they get deformed when testing the fit.
+1 for plastic. Great idea!
Get a cheap cutting board from the dollar store, they are a good cheap source of UHMW plastic

Thread gages are pretty common at hardware or auto parts stores. Or used to be, anyway.

If you don't have thread gauges, hold a tap of known TPI up to the threads in question and compare using a light source. The diameter may not match, but the pitch will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that works well, i use bolts too.

Is the majour diamitor a nice round metric or imperial mesurement? Might help with metric or inch threads.

Stuart

So far I have yet to get a bad thread gauge.

I have. I got a Chinese thread gauge along with a tap and die set. There was nothing wrong with the threads, but the stamping varied from weak to extremely weak and illegible. Measuring threads without knowing the measurement is not very helpful. Of course I could scribe, stamp, or engrave them and will probably do so sooner or later. In the mean time I keep using my 40 year old Craftsman gauge that was made in Germany.

Once again, I love this forum. So many replies!!! So much to learn.

OK, I dont have a thread gage and I am going to order one. Found some as cheap as $0.99 with free shipping from China on ebay but at that price they may be no good. I have seen some higher priced ones but need to some more searching.

I have an old US made (inch) thread gauge, 80 TPI to 4 TPI that I will give to you, the numbers are a bit hard to read but serviceable. Send me a PM with your address and away it goes in the mail. It is also very stylish the way such tools were made 60+ years ago.

The bad thing about this site is every time I get my spending back under control you guys post a picture & I say "Oh! I'd like to have one of those."

Last edited:
Thanks for the info......just ordered one!

Back