Maximat V10 compound gib adjust - pins with taper

Kimbo

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone. My first post so please be gentle with me! I hope that someone familiar with the machine can clarify something for me. I am about to inherit a Maximat V10 in poor condition from a friend who passed away. It is under covers in his shed and I don't recall him ever using it.

Anyway, I have some bits at home already including the compound slide and I noticed that the gib moved as the wheel was turned. On further inspection I found that of the four adjusting set screws, only three had lock nuts and only two had the pins that sit under the screws. This suggests that the slide has been disassembled at some point and two pins lost. I notice that the pins have a taper point on one end and these were fitted with the pointed end against the gib. I also note that the gib has a flat bottomed slot at one of the positions for the set screws....presumably to prevent the gib from moving along the slide.

My questions are:
1. Which direction should the pins be fitted? Pointed end to the grub screw or against the gib? ( I would have thought that at least the one against the slot in the gib would be flat end of the pin....but the marks in the gib look like the pointed end)
2. Are these a readily available part? If not then I may get a mate to make some up for me from 5/32" silver steel (drill rod)

Cheers from Down Under, Kim

Gib.jpg

I believe pointed end toward the gib is correct. You'll of course need some more 5mm locknuts. You could, temporarily, just cut two pieces of stock without points to enable assembling the compound while you make some proper pointed ones on the lathe itself (provided the lathe is otherwise operational)
-Mark
Condolences to your friend who passed, he had good taste in lathes :)

Welcome to HM, Kim.

I agree with Mark. The pointed end of the pin faces the gib. The pin that goes in the slot does indeed keep the gib from sliding out of place. You do not need to use steel as these pins are under very little stress and they and the gib do not move. The pins simply need to keep tension on the gib, that's all. The OEM pins are steel but brass would work just fine, would be cheaper and much easier to machine. I would not put too fine a point on the pins; a very tiny radius would accomplish the same thing and reduce marring of the gib strip.

The V10 is the same as the V10-P with the exception of the power cross feed. These are good lathes and you'll enjoy using it. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Wow guys! Thanks for such speedy replies. And thanks for your kind words. I can see that I will be making a few posts over the coming months as I investigate the Maximat. I'm pretty excited. :)

I hope that eventually I will be able to also contribute to HM instead of bugging members with my inevitable beginner questions. You have also answered my next question..... re that it is not necessary to harden the pins. That makes sense and will be easier. Thanks again.

I hope that eventually I will be able to also contribute to HM instead of bugging members with my inevitable beginner questions.

You are NOT bugging anyone. If you don't know something, ask and someone will step up. All of us started at the beginning and we know how steep the learning curve is in the hobby.

I meant to ask if you have the V10 manual. I don't have it but I do have the manual for the V10-P that I'm attaching below. Here is a link to a book on the V10-P that you should look at.

Attachments

• _V10 P_BetrAnl_EN (1).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Thanks so much for that Mikey. I have what appears to be an original manual, however it is for 'EMCOMAT 7 - 7L / Maximat V10'. It contains some of the same text and illustrations that yours has, but is only 38 pages long and some of it concerns the 7. The manual you attached has many more photos and details....that will be really helpful. Thanks again!

And I have seen the 'unofficial' book you linked to but haven't had time to get right through it yet. I was interested to see that it covered quick change tool posts including the Multifix one that this lathe comes with together with a number of Multifix tool holders. Looks like a wonderful resource.

I suppose that you have the V10-P parts manual? I found a copy on the net. It is 58 pages long with exploded diagrams of the entire kit and caboodle. I am sure to find it invaluable and am happy to send a copy to anyone that needs it.

Last edited:
I think I do have the parts manual somewhere. Emco parts manuals are excellent. You can tear down and rebuild a lathe from the manual alone. Emco lathes are precisely made. Everything fits, nothing needs to be forced. Most things that slide or turn can be adjusted precisely - headstock, cross slide and compound, leadscrew end play and so on. Any adjustments are in the manual so look for them.

I forgot to mention that the lack of power cross feed is not a big deal. I have it and rarely ever use it. Your lathe was the best that Emco had before developing the Super 11 and V13. It is a fine lathe and I'm sure it will serve you well.

Back