Maximat Standard

its the drive key
Isn't the spindle (St 32-02) splined?

Now I see (photo in reply #3) that the spindle does not seem to be splined.

Last edited:
Looks like it sits in a milled keyway, and it definitely needs a keyway to drive it

Pontiac428 and extropic - thanks a bunch for the info on the grease. I'm not schooled on oils and greases - so the info is a big help.

It turns out there are two cup point setscrews that retain the pulley and rear bearing assembly. Once those screws were removed, I was able to lube and work it back and forth by hand. Not too much of a fight to get off.

The flat setscrew on top (left of the grease fitting) had to be removed, as well as the setscrew holding the pinion, which allowed the pinion to slide sideways out of the casting. Once those were out of the way, the quill assembly slid forward.

More to disassemble, but decided to quit before my good fortune ran out.

Pics to follow.

Thanks to all for your interest and assistance.

TomKro

The Emcos are neat machines. Small, but very well-made Austrian quality.

Oils and greases (and any petrochemical product) usually satisfy multiple certifications. EP-2 is called a lithiated grease because it is made of saponified lithium salts to modify thickness. Many EP2 greases are thickened with bentonite clay. Today, new greases are out there with polymer chemistry that meet many specs, so it doesn't have to be exact.

On EP-2 grease, here is Timken's list of acceptable interchanges:

Castrol 4020/220-2™
Castrol 8060/220-2™
Chevron Delo®EP 2
Chevron RPM Automotive LC Grease EP-2™
Citgo Lithoplex MP2™
Citgo Premium Lithium EP 2™
Conoco Phillips Super-STA®2
Exxon Mobil Ronex MP™
Exxon Mobil Unirex EP 2™
FAG LOAD220™
Fuchs (Century) Uniwrl 2™
Lubrication Engineers Almagard®3752
LUBRIPLATE®1552
Mobilgrease®XHP 222
Pennzoil®Pennlith®EP 712
Pennzoil®Premium Lithium Complex 2
Petro-Canada Multipurpose EP 2™
Royal Purple® Ultra-Performance®2
Shell Albida®LC 2
Shell Retinax®LC 2
SKF LGWA2™
SKF LGEP2™
Texaco Starplex®2
Unocal 76 Multiplex Red

and the second half of the list:

Castrol Longtime™ PD
Castrol Spheerol EPL
Conoco Phillips Conolith EP
Dow Molykote®BR2
Exxon Mobil Beacon EP76®
Unoba EP
CITGO Premium Lithium EP-2
Chevron Multifak®EP
Fina Lithium EP
Chevron Dura-Lith®EP
FAG®Arcanol-MULTI2™
LUBRIPLATE®1200-2
LUBRIPLATE®1241, 1242
LUBRIPLATE®630-AA
SKF®LGMT2
SKF®LGEP2
Shell®Alvania EP
Mobilux®EP

Here's some pics of the pieces:

The setscrews holding the pulley parts are at 3 and 9 o'clock on the spindle casting,

SpindleCasting_resized.jpg

Here's the parts as they came out.

QuillPinionPulley_resized.jpg

And here's a close up of the holding ring. It looks like nylon keys in there. I guess the cross section was attempting to show the keyway and the attachment plate hardware. Sure had me confused.

PulleyHoldingRing.jpg

I need to clear some workbench space, get some pin wrenches for the threaded collars on the quill, and figure out the right way to clean those bearings.

Really happy that all the bits appear intact so far.

TomKro

Thank you.

On mine I want to machine a new serpentine style pulley for it. So seeing how it looks apart is very helpful

See what I mean about Emco? Steyr Austria bearings! Such finish! High end quality on a small machine. Beautiful.

Was a bit curious this morning, so I unscrewed the plastic holding ring.

The bearings are on the pulley hub with a nice snug sliding fit.

I thought a decent image of the back side of the holding ring would be informative, as it has the integrated shaft keys.

HoldingRing_resize30.jpg

I found a sharp edge in there when the bearing snapped back in. Only a minor nick, so I guess my good fortune is still holding up.

TomKro

Back