Maximat Standard

Was a bit curious this morning, so I unscrewed the plastic holding ring.
snip>

I thought a decent image of the back side of the holding ring would be informative, as it has the integrated shaft keys.
snip>

Yes, very informative picture. It explains why the "Key" had no leader/part number.
I certainly don't understand their section view depiction, but your picture answers the question.

One last pic of Maximat internal parts.

MaximatBearingRetainers_resized.jpg
I purchased a set of face pin spanner wrenches to get access to the bearings. The outer ring came loose easily, but the construction doesn't allow enough space to get the pin wrench on the inner ring. A different wrench or some custom ring with pins will be required to get it apart.

Sadly, a problem for the new owner. My wife and I decided to downsize, and I just don't have the time (or machine hauling capability) to play with and then transport the latest toy. Aside from one dry set of bearings on the milling head, both motors have dry bearings and might need some repairs. A friend in town needed a bigger hobby lathe and is willing to work on it, so it's off to a new home.

Hi all
Regarding the serial number. I have a similar lathe with serial C 66 12 17 - looks like date format YY MM DD - but haven't found anything about the format of the serial numbers. Don't know the model though.20220402_115742.jpg20220401_163941.jpg
Need to get it in its final position so I can finish the restoration.

Welcome to H-M, @Questjon
Very nice looking machine. Did you just acquire it?

Welcome to H-M, @Questjon
Very nice looking machine. Did you just acquire it?
Thanks. I got it about a year ago. I do know most of the history of this lathe though. My father started a electrical engineer company around 1965. The company bought the lathe around that time. Since it was mostly an electronic firm the lathe got very little use. In 2008 the firm joined another bigger engineering firm and the lathe was put in storage. There it sat until 2022 when they wanted to close the storage facility. I contacted the facility manager and asked to buy the lathe - well he said I could just take it for free if I removed it right away. Which I did. :)

That's a great story. You're keeping it in the family.

Back