Max spindle speed G0602 VFD...

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
So I did the VFD mod on my G0602Z some months ago. I got a wild hair to put the belt on the highest pulleys (AC3) and see what max speed is like. I dig the 15rpm for threading, max speeds gotta be great for titanium or?..... I know the VFD version of this machine is 100 to 2000 rpm. Mine stock is 150 to 2400, so I'm just curious, what does 4800rpm look like. Yeah, around 3000 I was just uncomfortable. Everything was smooth, no real issue, but what can the spindle bearings/drive train handle? Thoughts?

No idea but I can tell you I cringed as I watched Clough42 spin his Grizzly lathe to 3000 2400 rpm with an empty chuck...
Edit: reviewing the video he took it to 2400 rpm.

Last edited:
@DavidR8 So you don't believe the spindle can handle the 4800rpm?
That's the question, what can it take, what upgrade is possible to go to that rpm? It doesn't seem better bearings are possible for that lathe...

@DavidR8 So you don't believe the spindle can handle the 4800rpm?
That's the question, what can it take, what upgrade is possible to go to that rpm? It doesn't seem better bearings are possible for that lathe...

No idea to be honest as I don’t know much about that model. I would think that any bearing worth it’s salt could take a 100% increase in speed. I have no data to back that up,

Looks like bearings have been swapped in that machine.

Grizzly G0602/G0752 Spindle replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DavidR8 Bearings were swapped in what machine? I remember reading that thread some time ago. I thought they came to the conclusion there really isn't a better bearing out there for the G0602/0752.. Unless you really want to jack with it, and at that point, you may have better bearing, but installed in a way that you loose precision on the wonky mounting technique.

@DavidR8 Bearings were swapped in what machine? I remember reading that thread some time ago. I thought they came to the conclusion there really isn't a better bearing out there for the G0602/0752.. Unless you really want to jack with it, and at that point, you may have better bearing, but installed in a way that you loose precision on the wonky mounting technique.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t read it closely enough. I thought that better bearings were found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@darkzero Dude....I expected you to be the voice of reason.....not egging me on!

Normally I would be but I'm curious too & want to see! :D

But to be serious, be careful! Aside from the bearings probably not rated for those kinds of speeds pay attention to your chuck(s). Semi-steel/cast iron body chucks have a lower RPM rating than forged steel body chucks. Backplate matters too. Also the bigger the chuck the slower the max rated RPM.

For example, my Bison 6.3" forged Set-Tru 3-jaw is rated for 3500 rpm max. My Bison 6.3" forged Set-Tru 6-jaw, basically the same chuck but more jaws & heavier is rated for 2500 RPM. My 8" 4-jaw semi steel direct mount is only rated for 1800 RPM. Same with my 9" drive plate, direct mount with only a couple of slots but cast iron, 1850 RPM max.

Back