[Newbie] Math Question

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
Trying to understand the difference between thousanths and ten thousanths? Feeling ignorant. Is ten thousanths larger or smaller than thousanths? 0.0010- 0.001= 0
So what is the purpose if ten thousanths and one thousanths is the same

I think you are referring to 1 tenth of 1 thousandth = 0.0001 vs. ten thousandths = 0.01

In machine shop speak a ''thou'' = 0.001, a tenth = 0.0001

So in words you would say 40 thou or 40 thousandths meaning 0.040

Again in words, you would say 5 tenths meaning 0.0005

For measurements greater than 1, in words, would be one point nine four three five, meaning 1.9435

I hope this makes sense.

A ten thousandths is smaller (less than) a thousandth.

In machining, we often refer to a ten thousandths measure as a "ten." To say something like you want to remove 0.0005", you would say "I will removes 5 'tens'."

a thousandth = 1/1000
a ten thousandth = 1/10,000

Your formula 0.0010- 0.001= 0 is an entirely different animal and has to do with significant figures (accuracy).
to be clear 0.001 = 0.0010 mathematically only
0.001 =/= 0.0010 empirically, they are not the same thing
In any field that uses sig figures (chemistry, engineering, physics, etc), the last digit in a number is considered to be inaccurate.
So if you have a micrometer that is precise to 0.001", it means that you can only assume the hundredths place is accurate. In other words, if the measurement is 0.017, you can only assume that the actual measurement is 0.01 +/- error.
Good thousandths indicators are accurate to 0.0010". the last digit (the ten thousandths place) is considered to be inaccurate and it will only accurately measure to the thousandth place.

Sorry meant to say ten ten thousandths ( 10 tenths) .0010 minus .001 equals zero . Is that because they are really the same number?

Sorry meant to say ten ten thousandths ( 10 tenths) .0010 minus .001 equals zero . Is that because they are really the same number?
yes they are mathematically the same.
each decimal place is ten times smaller than the previous one.
0.01 is ten times larger than 0.001
As I stated above, 0.0010 is not the same as 0.001 since 0.0010 has more significant places than 0.001

And i thought spanish was hard. Let this soak in and i will question again.

As I stated above, 0.0010 is not the same as 0.001 since 0.0010 has more significant places than 0.001

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here, mathematically they are identical. The only difference would be on a tolerance callout on a drawing. The 4 decimal place callout would normally require a tighter tolerance.

And i thought spanish was hard. Let this soak in and i will question again.
I can give you a more practical example that might help how you think about it.

If I asked you to measure something that is a quarter inch thick you would probably grab a ruler. You could make a good accurate marks on a piece of paper a quarter inch apart with a pencil. This is a accuracy of something like 0.1.
If I asked you to measure something 0.250" thick, you would probably grad a dial indicator. Likewise you can scribe a good pair of marks between the jaws.
If I asked you to measure something 0.2500" thick, you would reach for a micrometer, and you would be unable to make marks this accurate using a handheld maker of any kind.

Back