Material Gloat

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
I had to run into town yesterday and on the way back I stopped at a friends house that scraps for a living.

He saves brass for me and I hadn't heard from him so I figured he didn't have any. When i got out of the truck he said I've got something for you. He had 6 brass round bar 1 is 1 1/2" the others are 1". The one on the other side of the brass wedge is copper.
The wedge is brass and has a company name on it, But I haven't checked out yet. When he first started in scrapping I always just gave him my scrap. At that time I was still in the welding and fab business and have scrap every week.

He always tried to pay me but I knew he was having a had time at it so I wouldn't take any money. And now he won't take any money from me.

Brass 1.JPG Brass 2.JPG

At least part of that is Beryllium Copper. That Berylco is a mill that produces BeCu. Depending on what alloy and heat treat condition it is, it can be quite tough, and as strong as some steels. Most of the BeCu alloys are low percent of Be (<2%), which is actually quite toxic in its pure form, but unless you know what alloy it is, handle with caution. Don't weld, grind or do anything that causes airborne particles. Use a particle mask, or a respirator even, if you must create dust. Wash hands before eating or smoking. It's perfectly manageable, so I'm not saying be afraid of it, but just be aware. Scrapyards that don't specialize in BeCu either won't take it at all, or will buy it only as red copper.

I personally love machining it. Cuts great, but is a little tough to tap. I've machined literally tons of it, and there's nothing wrong with me......with me......with me.......with me.........

Nice catch Old Iron, like they say what goes around comes around. What do you have in mind to make with it?
P.S. Don't let anyone from the " guvmint" know that you helped someone out during hard times & he payed you back in brass, I'm sure they have a tax for that!!!!!!!!!

Was a good day for you, nice to have friends that look out for you.
Mine would have bragged about it then kept it.

Personally,I'd stay away from messing with the beryllium. You may not really know the alloy. It just isn't worth the risk of messing with in my opinion.

I heard about a guy who discovered his junkyard steel was quite radioactive back in the 80's. I borrowed a geiger counter and made sure mine was o.k.. With the shipyards around here working on nuclear powered ships,you just don't know what might accidentally make its way into a junkyard. The same is true of any metal that you don't have exact data on. Be careful.

That's great, you looked out for him when he needed help and now he's paying you back.

Thanks for all the replays, I'm not going to do anything with the Beryllium. I hadn't looked it up and Tony save me the trouble.

As for the rest of it who knows what ever comes along I guess. Or it just mite set on the shelf till something or somebody comes along that needs it.

Paul

Nice score.
You guys probably would have freaked if you had seen what all brass I scrapped a couple months ago. One piece was a solid 6" round about 8" long, amongst many other sizes of hex bars, and solids.

I find it interesting that the wedge is the BeCu piece. In some work environments, where flammable gases or dust is preset, it is a requirement that all tools be non-sparking. I've seen sets of tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, chisels, etc.), all made from BeCu alloys just for that reason. Under the right temper, they are sufficiently strong to function as such tools, but if you have to buy them, you may need a second mortgage on the house. Raw BeCu that I buy (and I have a direct mill connection) I pay dearly for.....it varies, but has been as much as $38/lb. Those tools are extremely expensive, and you don't buy then unless you have to.

That's what made me wonder about the wedge. Is it like wood splitting wedge? Are there any part numbers on it? I kind of have a fascination about BeCu tools.

Nice score.
You guys probably would have freaked if you had seen what all brass I scrapped a couple months ago. One piece was a solid 6" round about 8" long, amongst many other sizes of hex bars, and solids.

Thanks man I'm going to go get quite Suicidal on that thought :) :) I just got a quote on some brass Hex and Flats for a project, turns out it's cheaper to buy the store bought parts than to buy the raw Materials :( :( That BeCu also makes good Solid Bearings too, just machine it outside and wash good after

Back