Material and thickness suitable for a 5" chuckplate

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
I bought a 5" independent for my HF 8.5" x 15" (or close). It takes a 4" normally. Is 3/4" thick enough? A36?

It's not impossible to machine this on what I have? I mean I could turn an arbor with the slightest taper, tap a whole in the end of that, and secure the stock for machining with a bolt/washer? Or something lol.

I bought a 5" independent for my HF 8.5" x 15" (or close). It takes a 4" normally. Is 3/4" thick enough? A36?

It's not impossible to machine this on what I have? I mean I could turn an arbor with the slightest taper, tap a whole in the end of that, and secure the stock for machining with a bolt/washer? Or something lol.
Check with LMS to confirm this will fit (they say SIEG C4/SC4 8.5 x 16):

IMG_6537.jpeg

You still get to machine the boss to fit the back of your chuck.

Not all. This is an old 31316 8.5" x 18". No identifying it as a Sieg.
Gotcha

LMS may still be able to help if you decide not to fabricate it yourself.

Typically back plates are made from cast iron. During the pandemic I couldn't get a partially machined back plate, so I machined one from a chuck of cast iron. Learned a lot from the process, including the fact that cast iron is messy to machine. But, honestly, it wasn't hard to do. Mine came out great, I wouldn't hesitate to make another one again.

The LMS plate might save you a good amount of time. If the bolt holes on the spindle side match the adapter and the boss is correct size or big enough to machine to fit spindle side. Then just have to machine the Boss and mounting holes for the chuck

Typically back plates are made from cast iron. During the pandemic I couldn't get a partially machined back plate, so I machined one from a chuck of cast iron. Learned a lot from the process, including the fact that cast iron is messy to machine. But, honestly, it wasn't hard to do. Mine came out great, I wouldn't hesitate to make another one again.
I just started turning down a cast pulley from tred mill for adapter plate. I made a trial run with a slab of aluminum I had on hand

Cast is messy especially light cuts

The LMS plate might save you a good amount of time. If the bolt holes on the spindle side match the adapter and the boss is correct size or big enough to machine to fit spindle side. Then just have to machine the Boss and mounting holes for the chuck
So much work I figured I may as well just start from scratch.

Is thete a reason cast iron has to be used? For a thteaded spindle I guess I could understand.

Back