Martini Shaker

Yep, we can see the pictures now John. It looks like if you rub that thing (the martini shaker that is), a Genie most likely will come out and any further issues will be alleviated :)

That link to the one at Walmart is a heck of a deal. When you mentioned that torch set I did a quick Google search with the results being almost double the Walmart one.

EDIT: I see now that is not Walmart. I saw the symbol at the top of the page and thought is was Walmart's logo. Not sure who that seller is.

The Smith mini torch works great on small items such as silver work. Easier to control the heat than with what we normally would use on an oxygen acetylene torch. It's the only heat at my jewelers bench.
That is great info. Thank you!

My mother had a kid that would polish all of her silver :rolleyes:
If you're not going to sell it, however you want to display it will be fine.

Now that the pictures are up , the joint looks like it may be soft solder. Try to figure out what solder was used and match it. Lead type solders and hard silver don't mix well. Hopefully some one with more experience can advise. Easy to ruin the value of a piece with a bad repair job.

I have a small butane torch like 7 miles posted. It works great soldering brass, I think I paid half that much at Home Depot a few years ago. Don't recall the brand but one of the common ones Bernzomatic, Weller etc. Very handy for small projects, but I have never tried to silver solder with it.

As I get further into the metal working hobby I'm more and more interested in some of the finer, more intricate techniques. I'll probably always have a small shop from here on out so building skills in these areas are starting to appeal to me.

I've been researching guilloche work and may start a new project building an ornamental lathe. Just looking for challenges the meet my interest and space.

I know the best approach if I want this thing repaired is probably to find a silversmith who knows how to do it and pay to get it done. As stated above it seems pretty solid so I may just leave it be. But now that I have a kiln it opens up some possibilities for what I can do with different metals.

John

As I get further into the metal working hobby I'm more and more interested in some of the finer, more intricate techniques. I'll probably always have a small shop from here on out so building skills in these areas are starting to appeal to me.

I've been researching guilloche work and may start a new project building an ornamental lathe. Just looking for challenges the meet my interest and space.

I know the best approach if I want this thing repaired is probably to find a silversmith who knows how to do it and pay to get it done. As stated above it seems pretty solid so I may just leave it be. But now that I have a kiln it opens up some possibilities for what I can do with different metals.

John

Understand completely. All I needed was a small lathe, somehow over the past 7 years that need has grown well beyond my expectations.

Nice piece John. If it was still solid I would leave it be. How do you tell if it’s silver or soft solder? It being outside and not in the ”drink” it could be either. +1 on the mini torch. I bought a Meco mini and is the stuff for welding, brazing and soldering aluminum. Pretty pricey compared to the Smith knockoffs. But works really good.

1651441521690.jpeg

I’ve always tended towards the small range of all my work but this guy Wes who does band instrument repair is fascinating. He also is a wizard at taking a crushed tuba or anything else and with it cool tools and experience making them new again. As far as I’m concerned this is the epitome of “right work” putting more music in the world. He uses the smith mini constantly.

I’ve always tended towards the small range of all my work but this guy Wes who does band instrument repair is fascinating. He also is a wizard at taking a crushed tuba or anything else and with it cool tools and experience making them new again. As far as I’m concerned this is the epitome of “right work” putting more music in the world. He uses the smith mini constantly.
I have a friend who repairs brass instruments. I’ll reach out to him and see what he thinks…..

Back