Manuals

As a promising SB newbie, I can say the manuals listed above are fantastic references.

I do have one small recommendation. at some point, is it possible to edit the titles to show the year the various manuals were first published? Maybe put the year in (parenthesis). This would greatly assist in quickly determining how relevant the manual might to various years of machine manufacture - particularly when trying to research early machines.

Thanks much!

Glenn

Hello everyone
Well it seems that I am getting somewhere! I have a brandy new How to operate a lathe manual ordered and on it's way. Now I came up with another question, has anyone ever switched out the 3 phase motor on their Hvy 10 for a single phase motor. I am rebuilding a Bridgeport J-head mill and found a change over motor kit which will relieve a lot of misery with the power supply in my shop. I have time as I am going to finish the mill before I tackle the lathe! So happy chips everyone!!!
Ray

Per _Serial Number Reference Book_, serial number 19124R would have been built in 1975, so it's relatively recent. I'm pretty sure that by then the D1-4" spindle nose was standard on these though threaded (and long taper) spindle noses were available as options. Errr, just checked, my SB literature has a gap between 1972 (when threaded spindle nose was standard) and 1977 (by which the cam-lock spindle nose was standard). Pictures would be nice!
David
Hey Dave
Sorry for not getting back sooner! My S.B. heavy 10 has a threaded spindle. I parked my "new to me" Bridgeport and my"new to me" Lathe too close together and I keep getting pulled from working on one to working on the other!! I may have to build a partition between them!! The lathe was delivered to its original owner in 1973
Ray

Thank you for this follow-up. Hmmmm, 1973 vs. 1975... I've heard that errors do occur in the _Serial Number Reference Book_. I think the most certainty of the build date of a South Bend would come from getting a copy of the original"serial card". Incidentally, according to my literature, after the cam lock spindle nose became standard, both the threaded and the long taper spindle noses were available as options.
David

this is old thread but is it possible to have download permissions for this manuals?

If its in the downloads” section, you need to be a “gold level” contributor (ie: subscription) to access them.

Its just the way the web site is set up.

Actually, full unlimited access to Downloads requires Silver level ($10.00) access, good for one year. Gold level access which costs $25.00, also good for one year, is required for access to selling in the various For Sale fora. Access for Buying doesn't require any donation. Details about the various donor levels are covered under the Donations tab in the header at TOS. Note that the donations system has no provisions for "upgrades", so if you know that you're going to have something to sell later in the year, you may as well go ahead and pay the $25.00.

, then again this site has to be maintained. Well, at this point I am too inexperienced. But when the time come will donate the amount of $.

Back