Man To Man...how Do You Deal?

louosten

Registered
Registered
Wifey sez;

There's grease on the door knobs, dirt on the floor, my kitchen dishes & bowls are full of solvents, and you've substituted kerosene for Jade East cologne...it didn't used to be like this!

Looking for real solutions...in all the wrong places.

That's the price she must pay for you staying out of her way. Fix or make something for her occasionally and she might learn to accept it.

Get your own containers to use. Dollar Store or Salvation Army. Keep Goop and paper towels in the shop and clean your hands before you go into the house. Keep a pair of shop shoes or boots that you change when you come in.

Happy wife = happy life.

PS You're still going to stink. Take a shower.

Garage & Estate sales for containers, very good source.
For a laugh, I came home with a bunch of stuff from a garage sale a few weeks and there were several pieces of Tupperware in my score.
Honey snagged a few of them for the kitchen... And they had lids! I was going to organize stuff. <whimper>
I also snagged a couple of heavy aluminum turkey pans, there getting used for oily / de-greasing stuff. All on the cheap.

As Charles said, keep the goop handy, and a clean shop rag in your back pocket to wipe down the doors and doorways.

As for the Kerosene just pick up some Mint, Menthol or Eucalyptus Oil and spiked it. A few drops and all will be sweet. :grin:

Like already mentioned, having a separate pair of shop shoes is invaluable. My wife is used to me smelling like all sorts of things over the years, but luckily I am not afraid of soap and water. The biggest problem we have is the occasional little piece of swarf that escapes from the shop and appears somewhere in the house. Since experiencing that problem, I have taken to doing a much better job of ALWAYS wearing my apron in the shop, ALWAYS take it off before going in the house, and ALWAYS changing to the appropriate pair of shoes. I also keep plenty of rags and paper towels in the shop along with a bottle of waterless hand cleaner.

Forgot to mention, I use Wifey's oven to heat up metal parts, and dry paint...sometimes the smell is obvious.

I have the same kinds of problems, metal chips on the carpet, smells from the shop, air compressor making noise.

She puts up with it. I kid her and tell her it keeps me out of bars and from chasing wild women ;)

Greasy hands; got my own sink in the shop area. It is also used for all the nasty stuff that shouldn't go in the kitchen sink. Need an oven; have two lab ovens in the forge. Tracking swarf; mats at the bottom and top of the basement stairs (still working on that one). All the noise from the machines; no answer for that one yet (try to work around her schedule). You spend more time with your machines than you do with me; definitely no answer for that one.

I do keep work boots and work clothes in the basement so I can come up into the living zone looking somewhat respectable. Also keep grubbys separate from the rest of the laundry.

Bob

Wow you are really asking for trouble ( i have also used the oven for baking enamel but wait till she is of somewhere ;)
Forgot to mention, I use Wifey's oven to heat up metal parts, and dry paint...sometimes the smell is obvious.

Wife said much of this to me, Then said something has to change. I said how about your address? last we talked about it. I will say it may have helped that right after that I was able to fix her washing machine by shop time. and made her some hanging flower baskets.
Mark

Back