1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Making Morse Tapers & Carbide boring tools 3/8 inch

Discussion in 'CATHEAD' started by cathead, Mar 19, 2017.

1. cathead

cathead Active User Active Member

City:
    Bemidji
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

This little project took the better part of a day to complete. It seemed reasonable to have center
    drills for both MT3 and MT4 for lathe work so got to use the taper attachment that I had just
    renovated. It seems crazy but all the Morse tapers have slightly different angles to them so
    had to consult with Machinery's Handbook several times. Anyway, the end product was a nice
    tight fit.

Also, I wanted to have at least a small assortment of cutters for my home made boring head.
    It was a scavenging operation to find some carbide scraps. I have lots of carbide but most
    of the pieces were way too big. With a bit of machining, grinding, and tapping, I ended up with
    what I hope to be a usable assortment. I'm not sure how the triangular carbide will work as is
    but I can grind on if it needed.

Included is a photo of my new toolage, MT3 MT4, and 3/8 boring head cutters.

2. Alan H

Alan H United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Spanish Fort
    State:
    Alabama

-Return to Top-

Looking good! Look forward to some feedback on how your boring head works.

3. Randall Marx

Randall Marx United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oscoda
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Looks great! Now for some projects to evaluate how well they work.