Making due with what you have

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
I needed to turn a shaft for the drive pulley on my Burke mill, I wanted to do it between centers so I dig out my face plate and dog but cannot find a center for it plus the dog would not fit over the stock. I have never used a setup like this or even seen it used but had asked a question about setting it up and found out I needed a center.

With my lack of patients and my bullheadedness I was determined to make some chips and fix my Burke. The stock I had for the job had a taper turned on one end so took advantage of that rigged up this contraption & it worked out well. The pictures tell it all, Video to follow.

Making shaft for Burke (1).JPG Making shaft for Burke (2).JPG Making shaft for Burke (3).JPG Making shaft for Burke (4).JPG Making shaft for Burke (5).JPG Making shaft for Burke (6).JPG

[video=youtube;DCbyW4T5_SA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCbyW4T5_SA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Charlie,

Got a kick out of that - great solution. :thumbzup:

-Ron

does stealing your wife's clothesline poles for grader blade count as making do:lmao:mac

Ever cut a bushing for the work centered in the steady rest?
Even at low speed with lots of lube the jaws (mine anyway) aren't that happy. I use thread cutting speeds most the time to reduce wear.

Charley! You "got er done" which is the main thing, showed creativity, and shared it with everyone. What else is there??? Great thinking!
Bob

I'm impressed. Nothing like need being the mother of invention. Looks like it is solid and safe and creative, so where the issue? I am a cheap so and so and that kind of invention warms the cockles of of my feeble little heart. If the shaft was a recycled piece it would be a double score too. +10 points to CD (to griffyndorr, "Harry Potte"r reference). I love it!!!!!
Bob

Back