Making a Set of Mini Pallet Toe Clamps for the Milling Machine

i have made clamps form scrap to identified steels as well as aluminum
just about any steel would have sufficient mechanical properties to be used as a clamp
my favorite material is 303 for ease of machining and abundance in the form of scrap in my shop
aluminum has worked well too
Mike,
I was going to use cold rolled steel but saw someone post the clamps bent under load.
I can't remember where I saw that??
Good to know,
Thanks buddy!

Tapping is no problem with HSS
John,
Would this material work harden even further? I know when drilling material that will harden up, you need to apply pressure (when drilling) get in and get out. No lolly gagging around.

By the way, the commercial heat treat stock he's talking about is not "hard" like a drill bit. It's more in the high yield and tough as nails. It's probably in the 70-120 ksi yield.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I made mine from key stock. Cheap, readily available , since the clamps are short , around 3" flexing is not an issue. If you accidently hit it with a end mill it's not hard enough to cause problems.

I just use mild steel. It works fine if you make a little thicker and keep the deformation down. I tried making a couple out of spring steel, and I noticed it worked me a lot harder. They were made with hammer and anvil. The spring steel is a lot harder to punch.

Right wrong or indifferent,
I’m on my way.
I must admit, working this material is nice.
Right off the mill, still full of burrs. (4) 1 1/2” and (6) 2” clamps.
Next step, clean up the edges and drill and tap 10-32 for the adjustable stand off.

Attachments

• 3301A1BA-22E1-4C15-BA89-6D07AE72A8B6.jpeg
    3301A1BA-22E1-4C15-BA89-6D07AE72A8B6.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 53
Looking for advise.
I watched Keith Rucker's video on his mini pallet and clamps.
It seems like the tapped holes are never in the right spot, in my limited experience.
I plan on laying this pallet out with tapped 10-32 holes every square inch.
The clamps are 1 1/2" and 2".
I'll cut the pallet down on the bottom to make a step that will fit in the vise. I'm thinking the pallet will go the direction of the X travel. What say you?
See any design ideas you would change? add?

Thanks,
I appreciate your thoughts!

Attachments

• pal 1.jpg
    pal 1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 34
  • pal 2.jpg
    pal 2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 28
Looking for advise.
I watched Keith Rucker's video on his mini pallet and clamps.
It seems like the tapped holes are never in the right spot, in my limited experience.
I plan on laying this pallet out with tapped 10-32 holes every square inch.
The clamps are 1 1/2" and 2".
I'll cut the pallet down on the bottom to make a step that will fit in the vise. I'm thinking the pallet will go the direction of the X travel. What say you?
See any design ideas you would change? add?

Thanks,
I appreciate your thoughts!
That's pretty close to exactly how I made mine. I tapped 1/4-20 holes on 1" centers, made a step on the bottom front and rear so it could be mounted on my vise, but I also added a set of larger holes in order to mount and center it on my rotary table. My toe clamps are made of 1/2" CRS.

I've used it quite a bit on both the vise and the rotary table. Other than possibly making it a little shorter, I wouldn't change anything on it.

Regards,
Terry

IMG_0274.jpgIMG_0275.jpgIMG_0276.jpg

Back