Magnetic Starter: In Search Of The Elusive Ohm

You have your voltage coil wired for 240. You need another jumper and you need to move the one that is on there now to the left or right. Look at the wiring diagram on the dual voltage coil.

Added the jumper last night~
She works!
So simple a fix....
Thanks all.

Daryl
MN

This weekend I added a junction box, a transformer, and a magnetic starter. All these parts came out of my pile of misc parts that my wife keeps telling me to take to the curb on Tuesday mornings.

I have yet to find a internet user group forum for wives of handy husbands. Therefore, based on your statement, I must conclude that your wife and my wife are somehow related and/or in contact with each other.

:D

In simple terms, the ohm is a measure of electrical resistance, Ohm's law states the the current that will pass through a resistor is limited by the voltage and resistance.

A resistor is a current limiting device, an excellent example of this is the incandescent light bulb which contains a conductor connected across a power circuit, why does this this not cause an over current condition? (a short)

The simple answer is that the light filament is a resistor which limits the current, at higher voltages the current increases which will cause the resistor to fail, at lower voltages it will cause the bulb to be dim due to the lower current.

In your case of trying to determine the problem with a magnetic starter coil, a measurement of infinite ohms across the inputs, which often looks like this "OL", is an open circuit as the coil is no longer making a circuit itself at all therefore infinite resistance therefore it is finished.

A magnetic coil is also a resistor, due to this a 220 volt magnetic coil may not allow enough current to pass to work at say 110 volts, in my experience all magnetic starters have a coil voltage printed on them, this is often on the coil and not the contactor part itself, look for the coil voltage on the coil which may be well hidden or unreadable due to age.

Last edited:
Wreck Wreck,
Huge heaps of thanks.
This is helpful. Understand that I will have multiple questions as I move forward with your words.

Daryl
MN

Wreck Wreck,
Huge heaps of thanks.
This is helpful. Understand that I will have multiple questions as I move forward with your words.

Daryl
MN
You are welcome, this is only a general explanation however, be aware that electricity can be very dangerous at high voltages.

Have you ever thought about why installing a new battery in your car (300 or more Amperes) does not kill you if you make a closed circuit, which is easily done?

You are welcome, this is only a general explanation however, be aware that electricity can be very dangerous at high voltages.

Have you ever thought about why installing a new battery in your car (300 or more Amperes) does not kill you if you make a closed circuit, which is easily done?

My brothers high school auto shop teacher giving a safety briefing to the freshman class grabbed both lugs on a car battery and shook and grimaced then challenged the class to man up and give it a try, no takers. lol

I have yet to find a internet user group forum for wives of handy husbands. Therefore, based on your statement, I must conclude that your wife and my wife are somehow related and/or in contact with each other.
:D
Simply demonstrate. Next time you affect a repair using pieces & parts from your stash,
do a cost analysis and show it to the Better Half with a web search of retail price to back up the data.
My Honey was always wondering why I just didn't haul 'those' boxes to the curb.
Then we got this house. It always nice to repair something with a part you picked up on the cheap than
having to run out and pay retail.

My brothers high school auto shop teacher giving a safety briefing to the freshman class grabbed both lugs on a car battery and shook and grimaced then challenged the class to man up and give it a try, no takers. lol
Human skin can have a resistance of many thousands or as little as 1000 Ohm's depending on environmental conditions, sweaty skin has less resistance then dry skin Etc. This is one of the reasons that one may touch an automotive starting battery with your hands and feel nothing. Someone with soft skin devoid of callus and plain worn out skin(my hands are in such bad shape that I am at the high end) may feel a shock when you would not. If the Wife/Girlfriend/ Significant Other complains about being lightly shocked by an appliance yet it never happens to you there is no reason to think that such a thing is not actually occurring, they can feel it and you can not, thanks Mr Ohm.

Human skin can have a resistance of many thousands or as little as 1000 Ohm's depending on environmental conditions, sweaty skin has less resistance then dry skin Etc.

This likely explains why touching a 9volt battery to your finger provides a different experience than touching the same battery to your tongue.

Daryl
MN

Back