Magnetic chuck for holding brass sheet stock?

My first thought was to cut strips the width of the part. Make a punch and die of one row of holes and punch the four rows of holes. Then shear the part off to length. With this type of stamping the distance between holes and between the holes and edge can be as small as one and a half times the thickness of the material. If the clearances are smaller than that another possibility is chemical maching or ECM.

SilverWorker,
I used to make lots of thin plastic and brass parts using Mitee-Grip. http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html

I still have a roll, I can send you a small sample and the instructions if you'd like to try it.

That looks interesting. I will have to get the boss to get some to try on Monday. Thanks for that.

I have tried a paper based product, it is double sided and washes off in water. Works but expensive in a production environment. I also tried the crystal wax stuff where you use a heatgun to flow the wax and then place your part in position. I have found that the wax style stuff is problematic if trying to maintain flatness. The spray glue is thin enough to not cause issues that way. We called 3M to see what works best to remove/dissolve Spray 77 and they said mineral spirits was best.
Pierre

Thanks, Don

Thanks Don, I will be happy to give it a try. I haven't set up a coolant system yet though so I guess that should come first.

I'm not sure about brass.030" having much part in reducing flux strength. I say this because there are millions of magnetic guitar pickups out there that have brass covers that thick. Some nickel plated,chrome or gold plated. Many have no holes at all to let the magnet adjustment screws stick up through. The Gibson Johnny Smith pickup has no openings. The Fender Telecaster bridge pickup has none at all.

Do you know that everything,even water IS magnetic if you have a strong enough magnet? I saw a program where this scientist has a mega strong electric magnet with a hole through the center. He even suspends small frogs magnetically in the hole!!

It seems that gravity,magnetism and (I think)light,or it could be electricity are made of the same stuff. They haven't figured out what that stuff is,yet.

I make lots of brass or silver parts for jewelry casting models. I just SUPER GLUE the parts down. For Pete's sake, DON't use some rubbery stuff like contact cement!!! To get parts loose,a little heat will melt the super glue. Then an acetone soak will get the rest off. I clean my gluing surface with a wood working chisel. Super glue is RIGID,which is what you need.

Back