Made alum. vise jaws... and now I see how wildly off my vise is...

You know I have vises down here . :grin:

I would take it over to a hydraulic press, rig it up so that you can take that bend out, and slowly put pressure on it. I would cover it with a few towels, so that if it does go, it's controlled.

Regardless of whether the beam is bent there is a tremendous amount of play in the movable jaw you can see perhaps in these two photos that I can lift it easily a half inch or more. Normal?

92ecb373df8621f8b1c05f57a02e2975.jpg

0398229a83527eceb1025c5f86574c35.jpg

Looks like a Wilton 4500 I have down here . Is that a Wilton ?

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 15
I bent my Littletown (?) bench vise while attempting to straighten some 6mm plate pieces on my wood splitter. I straightened the beam of the vise as best I could, then milled the jaw pocket parallel to the fixed jaw. Closes better than it has since I've owned it.

I'd put it on the mill, clamp something low in the jaws and mill them straight. Take a top cut to even them up. Wouldn't take long. Cast mills easily. Won't be like new but will work. I suspect the wear is significant.
Straightening looks difficult and cast is prone to breaking. I'm surprised that isn't broken. Must be good cast iron.

I've sometimes wondered why a vice squad never goes after vise abuse. :confused 3: Seriously though, I think that the vise is the most abuse tool in the shop. People beat on them, use them as bending brakes, anvils, arbor presses, etc. etc. Though the years, I have acquired a number of vises that people have thrown out. Have taken apart to clean and repair if possible. Bent handle the most common. Second, a broken or stripped nut. Related to the nut, a stripped screw. A bent or twisted jaw in relation the ram. This bent ram is a new one to me. Never came across a broken jaw, but I know that has happened. Another weak spot is the so-called anvil on the vise. There is only about a 1/4"of metal there.
Conclusion, I keep nearby (1) an arbor press, besides it works better especially for bearings. (2) an anvil, even a small one has a lot more metal (3) a torch for heating thick metal for bending. Oh, yah. I don't use a cheater pipe.

No Dave I believe he said Columbian, but I do see many similarities.....
Thanks Brian , I missed that in the original post . The Columbian looks identical to the the Wilton in the way it's made . Looks to be a channel and somewhat light weight beam . I could see that bending when cranking down on the vise . Looks like both have the two range widths also . I'll bet someone went over board while the vise was set out to 9" range . :eek:

Back