Made a surface grinder wheel balancing jig.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Setting the angle for the Sopko adapters wasn’t as easy as I originally thought.

The spec is 3” per foot. In my simple mind, I would set up the compound to .250” per inch. That is wrong!!
.250 X 12 is 3. At least that’s the way I figure.
So I did some snooping on the internet. I found a thread in Practical machinist where it is said to set the compound to half that amount.
Hugh? So, I set the compound to .125” of movement over one inch.
The proof is in the pudding as it were.
Is it because it’s half the angle?
Hey, the arbor locks up tight in the adapter. It works slick.
I couldn’t hold it upside down and take the picture at the same time. Trust me, it locks up nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpeg
    IMG_0396.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0397.jpeg
    IMG_0397.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0398.jpeg
    IMG_0398.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 34
Nice job, Jeff, I have only one hub for my Micromaster, but so far I have not found it necessary to balance any of my wheels; I suppose that if I had to use offshore wheels, I mightt have to do some balancing.

Down the basement rummaging for other stuff and found these I had for the 618 . Same principle . Yes , taper per foot would be set at half that for an attachment . ( included angle )

Attachments

• IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 19
Nice job, Jeff, I have only one hub for my Micromaster, but so far I have not found it necessary to balance any of my wheels; I suppose that if I had to use offshore wheels, I mightt have to do some balancing.
Thanks,
I buy Norton and CGW.
If you have a better brand, I'm all ears.

Down the basement rummaging for other stuff and found these I had for the 618 . Same principle . Yes , taper per foot would be set at half that for an attachment . ( included angle )
OK, I see a new project on the horizon. They look pretty simple to make,
Nice job Dave.

I have only one hub for my Micromaster
I bought several. I was told it's best to mount a new wheel, true then balance for the life of the wheel.
Much cheaper to use the same one!!
Sopko's use to be around $50. Now they run about $100

OK, I see a new project on the horizon. They look pretty simple to make,
Nice job Dave.
Jeff , I originaly had the tapered pipe cutting tools in this to cut down on friction . Went to plain bearings because the cutters kept rusting . :)

I bought several. I was told it's best to mount a new wheel, true then balance for the life of the wheel.
Much cheaper to use the same one!!
Sopko's use to be around $50. Now they run about $100
I quite agree --- I have been able to find several plain hubs and the one balancing hub on E Bay.

Back