Made a Box to house my straight razors

Ed.

Active User
Registered
Hi Guys', my straight razor collection has grown a bit since the start of the year so I made myself a cheap box to house them all and get a bit more organized, it's out of some Meranti timber I had lying around the shed for a while, would have preferred some hardwood but didn't have any, so made do with what I had, that Meranti is real soft, anyway found a small piece of nice Marble at a Stonemason's for the top, polished it up a bit more and it came up nice. Polyurethaned the timber and with 3 drawers, the first 2 drawers for my favourite razors, didn't put in the other 10 as I will be going to sell them off soon. The 3rd. drawer for the various bits and pieces, ie; soaps ect. still have to find some small plastic containers to hold them. What didn't show up is a bag of desiccant in the back of each drawer to suck up any moisture.

The liner was going to be green microfiber but after hunting around the house for about 30 minutes I gave up, I know I have about 8mts of the stuff... somewhere! however in the process I found a small piece of scrap red velour that one of my daughters had left over from a school costume she made when she was much younger, so I claimed it and so red liner it is.

Machined up the post of the double brush holder from a piece of stainless rod in my lathe, put a small taper on it, plasma cut the holding arms, ground it up into shape and welded the lot to a piece of stainless angle I made for it. Polished it up and screwed it in to the back of the box. Now my missus can't complain about my stuff lying all over the bathroom bench.

Cheers

Ed.

Shaving Box drawer 3 IMG_0449.jpg Shaving Box Drawer 2  A IMG_0448.jpg Shaving Box Drawer 1 A  IMG_0447.jpg Shaving Box Brush holder 2  IMG_0450.jpg Shaving Box Brush holder 1 IMG_0450.jpg Shaving Box 2 IMG_0451.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice display. Do you shave a lot? ... Just kidding. That stone top and brush hanger really set it off.

That is a great looking storage box for your razors. I think the marble is a great way to set off the wood too. Red is a better color for cribbing anyway so I think ya done good on that. I got a couple of Humidors that look kind of similar and love them too. Looks great, keep up the good work..

Bob

Thanks guys, It took way longer than I planned, I thought that I would knock it over in a day or two and not the 4 days it took. Been about 15 years since I did any woodwork last and that was when I made an 8 seat table and chairs out of solid Jarrah, but whilst doing this little project (ahh, the things I do to get out of cutting the grass! :whistle:) I worked out I need to have a radial saw or a saw bench in my shed, it would have made this job a lot quicker. Giving it more thought it looks like that the radial saw might win and may be my next project. So now just need to look into my shed to see what bits I have stashed away in corners that may be useful and work out if I can build one on a very sad budget. When I picked up that piece of marble I also picked up 2 real nice slabs of polished granite, hadn't seen anything as nice and interesting looking as them, so naturally had to take them home with me as well. Apparently I need to make a new table for the family room and one for the outdoor area. The internal one will be out of wood and the outdoor one will be out of steel. My justification to the missus will be that it will make the building of the wooden one much easier and quicker.

Cheers

Ed.

That is a great job. I need to make something like this. I was thinking to do a shelf to go on the wall to save counter space but had not thought of doing a drawer. Of course I only have 4 razors and I will never buy more :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: so I don't need as much storage. Somehow straights are like tools once you buy one you want to buy all of them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jeff

Somehow straights are like tools once you buy one you want to buy all of them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I know what you mean about tools, another acquisition disorder (A.D.) of mine, I needed a small wooden plane for this job as it was a bit too delicate for the power plane, so went over to a mates house, he does a lot of woodworking and borrowed a small No.3 plane from him, as I have never owned a manual one but been meaning to get one for nearly 50 years, plenty of powered tools but no manual ones to use, anyway he has huge number of them, and now in the last two weeks I have bought a No.4 and a 5, and looking at getting another 2 which will be a 6 and a 7 in size, it never ends. My AD is getting worse as I get older!

Cheers

Ed.

Nice, very nice...

...Wish I could talk you into making a storage cabinet for my Str8's -all 300 of them. My favorite is a cheapo Shumate that I picked-up for 25 bucks. I really like the Vanadium blades. I see you're running chrome steel for your dailies. How are you doing with the edge?

Ray

very nice job Ed!!!--I'll bet now that your wife sees it she will want you to make her a fancy jewelry display chest--always keep our women happy and they don't complain when we spend time in our shops and need more tools.:)) --Dave--

Nice, very nice...

...Wish I could talk you into making a storage cabinet for my Str8's -all 300 of them. My favorite is a cheapo Shumate that I picked-up for 25 bucks. I really like the Vanadium blades. I see you're running chrome steel for your dailies. How are you doing with the edge?

Ray

Hi Ray, all the ones I have are the high carbon types, don't have any of the chrome type (ie; stainless), I polish each razor as soon as I acquire it, then set bevel, hone using about 5 stones (4K/8K Norton the rests are slates and a JNat), balsa board with 50K and 100K diamond dust, leather strop and then that's it. Once mine are sharpened they stay sharp for a long time as I have a leather strop in the bathroom with some 100k diamond dust on it so after each shave with a razor, about 10 strops and it's good to go again, it gets the edge slightly sharpened and polished each time and ready for the next use.

You must have a very impressive razor collection with a lot of history in there, must have taken you a long time to get that many, I stopped at about 30 to work out what types I like and am now selling off the ones I don't want, trying to keep it to a manageable size (10-12). Still looking for an old Wade and Butcher near wedge/quarter grind with a nice and heavy blade about 7/8, but those are very popular and go for big bucks as soon as they show up, my budget does not allow for the sort of price that they go for but I keep looking.

I would imagine that you would need a massive chest for your collection, bolted to the floors, locked and insured well. To house your collection, I can picture them in a nice brushed stainless cabinet with gold coloured fittings and slide out lined drawers, and if you wanted to get really fancy, some nice LED lighting inside, maybe a glass top insert so you can look at some of your your favourites without opening the cabinet, but that sort off cabinet would really take some time doing!:think1: . So if you have a month to spare that could be your next project!

Cheers

Ed.

- - - Updated - - -

very nice job Ed!!!--I'll bet now that your wife sees it she will want you to make her a fancy jewelry display chest--always keep our women happy and they don't complain when we spend time in our shops and need more tools.:)) --Dave--

Hi Dave, agree with you on that one, she has now said she will buy me a saw/jointer bench for the shed as a late birthday present. I knew there was a reason I married her.:))

Cheers

Ed.

Back