Made a Blondiehacks Scribe (kind of)

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
Today I finished a scribe. I got the inspiration from one of my favorites, Blondiehacks. I find that she does a great job explaining machining to an amateur
such as myself.

This is the finished project.

IMG_4629.JPG

I started out with a piece of brass rod and turned it down. I tapered the end and drilled a hole in it to receive a part of a needle I cut off to about an inch and glued in with superglue.

IMG_4646.JPG

The knurling went much easier than I thought it would. I used this old knurling tool on a lantern post. I basically cranked it into the spinning shaft and engaged the power feed. The holder face rotates so you just need to be squared up and reasonably positioned. Very easy.

IMG_4647.JPG

Then for what I found to be the trickiest part. I wanted to make flat spots on the top of the scribe so it wouldn't roll away. Blondiehacks made hers separately and threaded it on. I made my flat spots directly on the shaft using part that was a little bigger than the body of the shaft.

IMG_4645.JPG

To do this, I used a milling attachment on my lathe. Here is what the setup looked like.

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

And that was my latest project. I find I learn a lot when I try to make something. Like, for example, it is very easy to forget to tighten everything up before starting to make a cut. Just leaving one bolt loose can really do a number on your operation. That's all for today.

Nice job!! Blondihack's does a real good job of finding way to solve problem with what is at hand. I use some of her ideas even on bigger machines.

Nice job!! Blondihack's does a real good job of finding way to solve problem with what is at hand. I use some of her ideas even on bigger machines.
Agreed. I think maybe its because she doesn't have big machines and all the fancy tools. On the other hand, look at Joe Pie. He is a master and he has all the tools you would expect a master to have. Its like the difference between Bad Chad and Chip Foose.

I had watched her video and thought I'd like to try it. I couldn't find the needle size she used. Where did you get them? or what other size worked.
Thanks

Your scribe looks great! I thought about making one myself but I already have two of them.

I had watched her video and thought I'd like to try it. I couldn't find the needle size she used. Where did you get them? or what other size worked.
Thanks
My wife had one in her sewing kit. It measured about .070. Blondiehacks used a #16 needle that measured .062. I would think any sewing store would carry them.

Back