Made a billet high performance ice cream maker part today.

D.sebens

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The new ice cream maker didn’t even finish one batch before it broke. Everything is so cheaply made today. The wife got it on sale for $10 but it’s apparently $70 now. I think both prices are a waste. It doesn’t even have a thermal breaker to shut it off when it stalls. That being said I figured I’d fix it so I can find the next weakest link!

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2898.jpeg
    IMG_2898.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 47
I can see the gears and the two-square drive being next in line, followed thereafter by the motor.

Fix one thing, somthing else breaks and you end up down the "re-engineering" rabbit hole....

Yeah realistically if something else fails the labor will probably outweigh the value. The aluminum shaft gold holds the beater bar stationary and the drum rotates with the octagon spline thing.

I just realized that’s what you are referring to with the double square. I think the lid would fail first. It’s thinner plastic on it. The mating fit between the two is really really sloppy.

That's a sad excuse for a mechanism
the designers should be sent to their rooms without supper
or maybe thumped on the kidneys

Last edited:
The older style machine the square shaft was part of the beater bar and slid in the motor housing. Im not sure if that’s better but it seems like it would be better. Also the old one never broke. The wife just thought it looked gross.

The older style machine the square shaft was part of the beater bar and slid in the motor housing. Im not sure if that’s better but it seems like it would be better. Also the old one never broke. The wife just thought it looked gross.

Any way to build a hybrid of the two or are they too different?

Bah! In MY day, we turned the crank by hand, and were happy to do it! :grin big:
I’ve never churned it by hand but I do feel like the electric motors stall too soon and leave it a bit runny. It might just be too cold when I’m making it. We don’t make it that often seeing as it tends to cost more than store bought!

I’ve never churned it by hand but I do feel like the electric motors stall too soon and leave it a bit runny. It might just be too cold when I’m making it. We don’t make it that often seeing as it tends to cost more than store bought!

Yeah, but can you satisfy yourself that "store bought" used the best available ingredients and that "forbidden" dash of that special "tipple" you like so much??

Back