Machinist's tool chest

bihigdog that is 3 awesome tool chests. While I’m not a wood worker I’m impressed with the craftsmanship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Having a Bridgeport helps a lot with all the grooving required. I'm keeping the last one I made from figured quarter sawn white oak (not pictured). The others I gave away..........Bob

Last edited:
I have a metal machinist chest from JC Penney I believe, that my wife bought me for my birthday way back in 74 or 75. It's black with a nice finish and really smooth working drawers with hardly any racking. Until then I was using a wooden box with a hinged top and one drawer that I cobbled together on an old tablesaw with no fence. That box was my pride and joy and through my whole working career, I kept my best tools in that box. I later acquired a larger Kennedy chest with the 2 drawer riser for $40, and then Gerstner wooden box from an old pattern maker who worked upstairs from our shop. I still love the Penny's box for it's quality and the nostalgia, and it still holds my best mics, dial calipers, indicators, telescopig gages etc.

a85853c710fb690615c1b4fc7ea65505.jpg

So, I looked at this picture and thought, "that punch holder is brilliant!" I'm gonna have to make one for myself!

After looking at the tool chest again this afternoon I decided not to buy it. It is a gerstner leather covered 11 drawer model. It is in very good condition and includes a 1955 edition of the Machinery's Handbook. Also in very good condition. The only thing missing was the mirror. I decided that there are other things that I need more than a tool chest. If anyone is interested in it I can provide the name and address of the consignment store where it is located.

I'm looking for 1 key . Tearing boxes apart , drawers , buckets , containers , shoeboxes , pockets , cars , trucks , etc .

I have a 1937 Gerstner which is locked and the lid won't close . Cleaned the leather up and it looks too good to sell , well , not that good .

You can get replacement keys from Gerstner for $15. All you need is the number that's on the face of the lock. I bought one from them a couple years ago. Might save you a couple hours' frustration, eh wot?

:rolleyes:Where were you 5 years ago ? :)

Back