[Read!] Machinists!! Machinists!! Machinists!!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator

We have a lot of machinists on this forum! (According to their listed occupation on our the registration form)

You can help out a lot on our forum, and we wish you would...

HELP people with issues on their machines

2. TEACH people the proper way to do things on their machines

3. SHOW newbies and other hobby-machinists how you accomplish various tasks

4. BE A FRIEND AND MENTOR to the people who come here

We are lucky- we have very few behavior-related problems on this board. Thank God for that!
Mostly, we want to educate and keep people coming back because they enjoy it here.

Please help us to do just that!

Thank you Nelson for this wonderful, instructive and educational forum!

Thank you to all members for the tons of information that can be found here and for the always available help!!

Have a great 2013 all.

Vasco

Last edited:
I'll throw my assistance in where I feel I can add some beneficial info. I've had the opportunity to work at a variety of jobs with different machining applications and picked up a lot of knowledge along the way. I've been doing this long enough to know I definetly don't know everything but I can assist in a lot of areas. There is always more than one way to skin a cat but the goal is to get to a quality finished workpc. I have just acquired a mill and lathe for the garage so could post some videos where applicable. One thing I have noticed is even with some very experienced manual machinist they don't use surface footage to calculate speeds and feeds. I would recommend that the home machinist have a good understanding of the formulas to calculate theor rpms and feeds for different materials. It sure makes for a good starting point and will save some tools being wore prematurely or on the other hand going too slow and having surface finish/chip control issues.

I will lend my assistance anywhere I feel I can help. If you want it more personalized feel free to pm me and we can do it over the phone if its easier. My specialty is building plastic injection molds. This involves designing and building things in a reverse form in tool steel using, milling machines, lathes, surface grinders, EDM machines, pantograph's and CNC machines of various kinds, along with an extensive amount of handwork with files, polishing stones and polishing equipment.
I have been for the last 10 years or so doing a little side work that involves making virtually anything I can trade for or make money on.

While I have been in the trade for nearly a decade, I found this forum looking for help myself. I'm fortunate to work with experienced guys who are willing to share that experience with me and I hope to pay it forward (as well as offer advice from my own experience) to as many here as I can, but it is also nice to be able to get on here and and find answers to the questions I'm embarrassed to ask at work.:phew:

Back