Machinist Bedside Reader

If I had a copy of these books thay would be on ebay.

I have had all three volumes since they first came out. I have enjoyed them more for the stories than the machining content. I tend to collect books and dislike getting rid of them but if these prices are reflective of the market I can think of a lot of tooling I would rather have instead.

Darrell

Not quite the same as a book, but it looks like you can download it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/240271641/The-Machinist-Bedside-Reader-1-by-Guy-Lautard
$8.99 for One-day unlimited access

PDF or text

EDIT to add... it looks like you can upload a PDF to places who then print them on demand. Google "pdf print book on demand", here's one... pretty cheap too:

http://www.thebookpatch.com/

You would have to look into the "Legal" side of all this, I know I don't have a clue about it. Maybe someone here knows...

Thanks, you just saved me over $600.00 I just signed up and downloaded volumes 1 & 2, I guess 3 isn't up on that site, yet? There are other metal/machine related books and thousands more. You can also sign up for a month for $8.99 unlimited downloads.

You could also print it at home on a desktop printer or any copy center.there are numerous ways you could bind it.

Only trouble is he's been saying that for a very long time. Oh well.

If it was a really nasty divorce maybe he is messing wit the ex-wife? "Go ahead honey buy the Lexus, the books are printed and ready to go.."

If it was a really nasty divorce maybe he is messing wit the ex-wife? "Go ahead honey buy the Lexus, the books are printed and ready to go.."
If you do a little googleing the whole story is out there, I'm just summarizing from when I researched it last year. I'm not going to hold my breath.

I have all three. Problem is is if I could get $925 for all three I'd still be hard pressed to get rid of them. Yes, they're that good...

John

I have the first book, and like the way it's written. I wouldn't pay much more than $30 apiece (in paperback) for them though. The Model Engineering crowd has produced a lot of great books full of builds, plans, ideas, and experience. One place to find a ton of such titles is from the Tee publishing people. Google that and you will find more titles than you can shake a stick at, also at reasonable prices. I don't care for their customer service much, but am so impressed with their vast collection I felt it needed mentioning here. The workshop practice series is another source of great info. Also from across the pond, but from a different publisher. I love my copy of"gears and gear cutting", and want probably 20 other different titles in the series at least. They can be found all day at Amazon. I'm sure there are some American Authors and sources too, but I thought as Guy Lautard is a Canadian, these British offerings would be most similar.

I have the first book, and like the way it's written. I wouldn't pay much more than $30 apiece (in paperback) for them though. The Model Engineering crowd has produced a lot of great books full of builds, plans, ideas, and experience. One place to find a ton of such titles is from the Tee publishing people. Google that and you will find more titles than you can shake a stick at, also at reasonable prices. I don't care for their customer service much, but am so impressed with their vast collection I felt it needed mentioning here. The workshop practice series is another source of great info. Also from across the pond, but from a different publisher. I love my copy of"gears and gear cutting", and want probably 20 other different titles in the series at least. They can be found all day at Amazon. I'm sure there are some American Authors and sources too, but I thought as Guy Lautard is a Canadian, these British offerings would be most similar.

Tee is a great source, and +1 on the customer service assessment.

Bought a few of the Workshop Practice series at Amazon. I was disappointed. The publisher seems to be aiming at "least publishable unit" of information and a standard (and in my opinion, high for the content) price and number of pages. For example, the one on sharpening referred to another volume for a tool design that I felt should have been included in the first volume. Not bad or wrong info, just carefully parsed to get the most sales dollars for the minimum content. And some of the titles appear to duplicate (but how can one tell without purchase). If you buy the whole set, 40 or so books, it's six or seven hundred bucks. A lot of the old apprentice manuals and shop class books have more info.

Just my two bits' worth. YMMV.

I exchanged emails with Mr. Lautard a bit less than a year ago -- he indicated his issue was with online copyright infringement.
Whatever the case, his pique seemed to be with his return on investment (time & effort ) being reduced by online copies.

At this point, for most of us, the 3 Bedside Readers will remain a near myth: another year of used prices exceeding $100 US, and new sets of 3 approaching $1000 US on Amazon - well, they're beyond market price for a hobbiest -- even someone like me with no reason to spend money save amusement -- lost my wife in January: nothing but work and hobbies to me keep going.

Well, given the occasional sets at outrageous prices won't make a market -- interested as I was, I doubt I'd buy at his list price now, not when the small learning projects books from the Workshop Series books are available at about $8 US from UK vendors -- received the 6 I wanted in a week and a half for about $58 all inclusive.

Back